Saturday, December 14, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Mystery File When Using Carbon Copy Cloner?

 

Did it simply accidentally get renamed with a . At the start?

On 15 Dec, 2013, at 12:50 pm, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

 

I have successfully deleted the mystery file. I could play the QT movie but I could not rename it to add a .mov suffix. I thought maybe doing that would make it visible at the finder level. No luck with renaming the file but I could delete it and the disk still works and now has all that space freed up. Still would like to know what might have created this intact QT file that had no icon associated with it and lived as a hidden file robbing me of all that artistic disk space I could have been using. Hmmmmm maybe that's where all my chronic art build up has been hiding. ;-)

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "johnrobmoore" <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> So I found the app I was remembering and it's called Hide/UnHide. Launching it shows hidden files. Since I was in the middle of the clone I logged in from my mbp to my edit computer and I could look at the desktop folder of the edit computer on my mbp. I could then launch Hide/UnHide on my mbp and see the mystery file and it is in fact a QT movie that plays in QT 7.6.6. It was a show I did last year and it's about 80 gigs. Don't know what caused it to disappear off the finder and become a hidden file. Maybe this was a temp file that somehow got orphaned on a crash but yet it still plays. I'm going to let CCC finish cloning before deleting this file but I think that's the mystery file.
>
> Anybody know how this file got there and became invisible?
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, John Moore <bigfish@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my mac sndx startup drive.  I deleted the Avid attic file freeing up approx 120 Gigs of space.  I have another back up of the drive that I upgraded Avid to V6 a while back.  That drives has approx 60 gigs used according to get info while after deleting the attic the original drive has more like 150 gigs used.  I couldn't find any huge .mov file hidden any where.  During the cloning process it hit a file that appears to be the big file that would account for the huge used space difference between the two start up drives.  This is Mac OS 10.6.8.
> >
> > According to the Carbon Copy Cloner window the file is called:  User/Admin/Desktop/.QT-044d-ccdbf3bc-bffff5dc-00
> >
> > I don't see this at the desktop level so I'm assuming it's a hidden file of some sort.  I'm thinking this file isn't needed given the other startup drive doesn't seem to have this file based on it only using 60 gigs.  I remember Jimmy D had an app that would toggle showing hidden files on macs perhaps that is something that would shed some light on the big but invisible at the desktop level file.  Anybody know what this file might be and if it's needed.  I'm guessing it's in the 100 gigish size and because it's name starts with .QT I'm wondering if it's some sort of messed up QT .mov file.  .Mov's are about the only kind of files I deal with that would be that big.
> >
> > Anybody got any suggestions?  I'm not having a problem with the system running but I'm thinking there is a 100 gigs going to waste by this mystery file.
> >
> >  
> > John Moore
> > Barking Trout Productions
> > Studio City, CA
> > bigfish@
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment