Sunday, August 18, 2013

[Avid-L2] Anybody Running Avid with EVGA GTX-680 Card? and GPU concerns

 

I'm going to try the EVGA CTX-680 mac edition card in my 12 core mac pro 5.1.  I'm pretty sure Avid will be fine but thought I should ask the collective.  I also read a bunch of talk about using the PC version of the card which has 4GB of ram while the mac edition only has 2GB.  It seems the PC version doesn't support the Flash Screen, which I think is the startup and shut down screen.  There was talk about flashing the PC card, I assume to get the startup screen etc..., and also there was some hack to get some of the Adobe CC suite or CS6 apps to see the card.  Not sure if I would want to mess with all that but it seems like for GPU only use the PC card is a better choice so if I ended up with an expansion chassis that might be a way to go.  I also read a suggestion of adding a separate power supply just for the GPU to avoid, "Frying the mother board...."   I read the GTX-680 is more power efficient than other cards which is why it works with
just the two mother board power connections.  Anybody think the motherboard is at risk with this card? 

From all my searching it seems EVGA is the only company making a mac edition of the GTX-680.  Am I missing any other company to consider.

 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment