Saturday, July 27, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] "What are you grading this week 2013?", survey results.

I agree with most everything you say here, and will just add where I can.

Apple will not allow you to create ProRes on a PC. But Drastic will.

http://drastic.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=80

We added this to the only PC we have in house (our Scratch system) and it's
pretty fantastic. We even helped get it tweaked so that its ProRes outputs
were compliant with MC/Sym and FCP. Yes it's $$$, but it does get you there
(in case anyone wanted to know).

I have found that while QT exports are generally atrocious and should be
avoided (like you say), Compressor handles this much more elegantly and
without noticeable shifting. I installed Compressor on all the edit suites,
created compression Droplets for delivery specs, and things go pretty
smoothly.

Oh, and for the record, I am most definitely not talking about checking
gamma levels within software. I am ALWAYS comparing levels as played out
through SDI I/O to a broadcast monitor. I simply don't care what it looks
like on a computer screen, unless that is its target destination. This
sentence is also exactly what I have told broadcast QC operators, and most
seem to adjust their sensibilities once they hear that.


On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Job ter Burg (L2B) <Job_L2@terburg.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> On 24 jul. 2013, at 08:33, Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why is this insane? ProRes is perfectly fine to deliver for broadcast.
>
> I'm not arguing the quality of the ProRes codec. I AM arguing the Apple
> H264 codec, which is severely gamma-flawed.
>
> I'm also arguing using anythin QT as a broadcast delivery format, since no
> one seems to know how to check nor specify luma level range for QT
> delivery. A broadcaster sent me their ident in H264 and in IMX50, both had
> completely different gamma (the IMX50 being the best looking and probably
> correct one).
>
> And: Apple won't allow you to create ProRes on a PC. So it's severely
> limited to a platform. That to me makes it far from a desirable common
> delivery format. But OK, let's assume that we all buy a Mac just to get
> there. Then there's still the issue with QT. If you export from QT Pro or
> from the Custom export options in MC (basically using QT), you WILL get
> gamma shifts when exporting to ProRes. You cannot maintain gamma and luma
> levels when roundtripping.
>
> The same goes for FCP, which in my limited experience only seems to work
> when you ingest and export through external hardware. File-based
> import/export in FCP is always messing with gamma and luma levels. I was
> never able for instance to properly import or export the Belle Nuit Test
> chart with gamma and luma levels intact. All P2-to-QT reencodes I received
> from FCP had screwed up gamma when compared to the MXF camera original.
>
> The only way I know to properly deliver ProRes is to transcode or mixdown
> to ProRes in MC6.5 or later, then export Same As Source. Aything QT in the
> mix will mess with your stuff.
>
> I really do feel that Op1A MXF is a much nicer, and more professional way
> to handle things. And I really, really hate Quicktime. Not the idea of
> Quicktime, but the common practice of Quicktime. I use it when I have to,
> often, but reluctantly.
>
> J
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment