Saturday, July 20, 2013

[Avid-L2] OT: Only in Hollywood or it could be anywhere in the world

 

So in the midst of all the multicamera Red fun I've been having this week they are out shooting another multicam Red show tonight.  At 9:30 PM I get a panic call on my cell and it's the folks on the stage and they are having a serious lighting issue that only cropped up at the beginning of the show.  They wanted my opinion if it could be fixed in post.  I conservatively said it sounds like VFX job to remove a shadow being cast on a stage backdrop and that it might be tedious but VFX folks can work magic.  The concern was whether  they needed to relight before shooting the second show.  As I'm not a VFX artist I wasn't entirely comfortable giving advice so I decided to call a friend who is a VFX supervisor for features and commercials etc...  While waiting to hear back from him I was sent a .mov from the set of the video village with all the monitors so I could see the shadow issue.  I forwarded this to my VFX friend after he called back and when
he got home to look at the clip he called and told me it was a very fixable problem and if they couldn't relight all was not lost.  I passed the information on to the production folks on set and now they can rest a little easier and I advised them to make sure to shoot slightly wider lock off shots of the clean stage without the performer there to give the VFX folks possible clean plates to work with.  It was nice to be able to help share information and get it from a few cell phones and internet connections.  These are really fast moving exciting times.  This is the first time I think I've been able to save it in post even before it's gotten to post. 

What's next?  Perhaps some remote controlled cameras at the venue with the director and camera operator(s) working from home all tied together on the Interwebs. 

 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment