Saturday, June 15, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Dell vs HP for preferred mobile workstation?

 

I've been using Dell laptops for over 10 years now and they have never
given me a hitch running the latest version of media composer.

I am currently running with an M6600 with 32gb of Ram, i7 2.7ghz
processor and the Nvid 5010M gfx card. This does seem to steam through
most things I throw at it in the Avid, and After Effects, world. It's
even more impressive when I can do that on the train home (keeps your
lap warm too!)

But the thing that has impressed me most about the Dell laptops is the
next day repair warantee I've always had with them. If something goes
pop, which it invariably does regardless of which make of computer you
have, the next day* a nice man from Dell arrives at where ever I ask
them to arrive and fits a new part. This could be anything from a new
screen surround to a new motherboard.

*unless it's late on a Friday in which case they sometimes appear on the
Tuesday.

This is why I have, and will, stick with Dell. Worth the extra £100 a year.

I just wish I'd held off my purchase for a couple of months and got the
Ivy Bridge M6700 so I could have used a docking station with USB3 ports.
But then another couple of months and it would be Thunderbudgie and then
after that the next new thing......

Cheers,

Marcus

On 14/06/2013 21:54, Gary Bettan wrote:
> We recommend the ASUS gaming laptops as well. 16GB and NVIDIA GPU really
> comes in handy for video editing and content creation.
>
>
>
> Gary
>
>
>
> From: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
> Jeff Krebs
> Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 3:59 PM
> To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Dell vs HP for preferred mobile workstation?
>
>
>
>
>
> I know there is lots of talk about Avid approved mobile laptops. We use
> ASUS laptops with 16 gigs of RAM and beefy mobile GPUs. We run them with
> Avid Symphony and use the HDMI out as our 2nd monitor. IMHO we find them
> solid work-horses for editing and of course run Fusion which is incredibly
> GPU driven at the same time. These are more gaming computers.. I've
> recommended them to many editors, and they just love the performance and
> price....and you get a cool backpack carrying case too!
>
> https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G74SX/
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment