Sunday, February 10, 2013

[Avid-L2] Transcoding Gotcha I found out the hard way with Convert Audio Checkbox

 

So on my ama transcoding anime today's sphincter tightening lessen is when transcoding to a lower resolution you need to check the Convert Audio check box to get audio included on the transcoded clips.  Now my instinct was to just check the Convert Video and select DNX 45 after all I'm just converting the video and doing nothing to the audio as far as conversion.  Well I moved the new media over to the original project on the offline system and voila video no audio.  WTF.  Turns out the Convert Audio Checkbox actually enables the audio to be part of the transcoded clips so checking it and leaving it at 48K for my sources is the correct thing to do to get all the tracks video and audio onto the new low res clip.  Now here's the gotcha that caused me a moment of sheer panic.  Without me realizing that the transcoded files were playing audio from the original files and not the new ones I'd created I figured I'd just delete my transcodes and start
over.  Well guess what the DNX 45 media was deleted along with the audio from the original high res media on the original drive.  Ouch big time especially because this was the only source I didn't have original card media for.  Fortunately I had previously copied the clips to a third drive so I was able to find it there and replace it back on the original drive.  When I used reveal file I got a prompt the video and audio were on separate drives but when deleting the transcoded clips there was no such prompt or warning.

The moral is to always check the convert audio box even if you aren't really converting the audio otherwise MOS will be your middle name.  I'm sure this has come up before but it obviously didn't stick with me until tonight.  Hopefully this will save someone else from having a massive tush pucker like I'm still recovering from.

John Moore

Barking Trout Productions

Studio City, CA

bigfish@pacbell.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment