Sunday, August 19, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: QT Ref to Self Contained Movie with QT Pro Field Motion/Order Issue with ama?

 

Excellent - thank you. Now we need a similar option for imported files with genuine Avid media.

On 16 Aug 2012, at 18:31, Mark Spano wrote:

> Set AMA Source Settings has a field order. I usually avoid that panel but
> in this case it may be useful.
>
> (right-click clip, set source settings...)
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM, johnrobmoore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> So far I have not found a field order parameter to change.
>>
>>
>> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Roger <rogershuff@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Having looked at this I think you can only set it to P or I but not
>> upper or lower within interlaced - is that correct? The 'Shift fields'
>> filter in FCP7 is useful for this.
>>>
>>> On 16 Aug 2012, at 14:38, Mark Spano wrote:
>>>
>>>> MC gets field motion wrong ALMOST ALL THE TIME when linking via AMA.
>>>> Actually, I've only seen it right with DNxHD quicktimes and XDCAM/P2. I
>>>> always have to go in to Field Motion and change every single clip from
>>>> Unknown to Interlaced/Progressive depending on source. Come to think
>> of it,
>>>> this error of guessing is true of almost every application out there.
>> FCP,
>>>> Compressor, AfterEffects, everything. Always check your field order.
>>>>
>>>> Now the fact that when you change it to Interlaced, it plays out of
>> order -
>>>> I'd be inclined to think something else weird is happening. Was there
>> HD
>>>> source material in your original edit? Doing a QT ref without doing a
>>>> mixdown first might have issues that way. I'd try the mixdown -> QT
>> Ref ->
>>>> Save as self-contained method and see if you still get out of order
>> fields.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Job ter Burg (L2B) <Job_L2@...>wrote:
>>
>>>>
>>>>> **
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm suspecting the 1:1x part. IIRC, there were always some issues with
>>>>> that.
>>>>>
>>>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 16, 2012, at 4:57, John Moore <bigfish@...> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> QT Ref to Self Contained Movie with QT Pro Field Motion/Order Issue
>> with
>>>>> ama?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> MacPro OS 10.6.8 SNDX 5.5.3 1:1 SD mxf project 30I
>>>>>>
>>>>>> So now that I have ama with 5.5.3 for QT .movs I figured I'd run the
>>>>> file I make back through Avid to my error logging scope. I export a
>> QT ref
>>>>> to maintain 4 tracks of audio and then use QT Pro to make a self
>> contained
>>>>> .mov. The resulting movie says Formant AVid 1:1x, 720x486 and plays
>> fine in
>>>>> QT Pro. I ama link to the file and it seems to play with field order
>>>>> reversed. The field motion says unknown and the video format says Ai
>>>>> :xTime. Huh? I change the field motion to interlace and still field
>> order
>>>>> seems reversed. If I change to progressive it plays correctly. The
>> original
>>>>> is interlaced with 2:3 pulldown on most of the source. I can go field
>> by
>>>>> field and everything is fine when field motion is set to progressive
>> but if
>>>>> I switch to interlace or 2:3 film I can see the field order issues as
>> a jog
>>>>> field by field. SD masterial in my NTSC world is always even lower
>> field
>>>>> first. What is happening in the food chain here that makes
>>>>>> interlace field motion show inverted field order.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Now for the error log which is why I did this in the first place. The
>>>>> sequence has the safe color limit effect with RGB limited to 16-235
>> and 422
>>>>> box checked. I can play the original sequence out to my scope and it
>> won't
>>>>> trigger any errors with the scope set to Tek defaults and 0% area in
>> the
>>>>> tolerance settings for the alarms. This is running through the
>> external
>>>>> legalizer which is so so but seems to do the job when combined with
>> the
>>>>> safe color limit effect. If I bypass the legalizer I get some
>> occasional
>>>>> errors RGB gamut wise. Now with the ama clip back in avid I get
>> identical
>>>>> errors playing back the exported clip. The errors are even frame
>> accurate
>>>>> to playing the original sequence both start and stop of the errors. I
>> know
>>>>> that's the way it should be but it's nice to see it working
>> symmetrically.
>>>>> So I guess just like I error log my final tapes with a 1% area
>> tolerance I
>>>>> have to apply the same to the QT files. If the safe color limiter
>>>>>> was more effective perhaps no errors would get out. It's funny that I
>>>>> need both the safe color limit on the sequence and my external
>> ensemble
>>>>> legalizer to get no errors. If I just use the ensemble I will get
>> errors
>>>>> which is why I use both. Also the fact that it is the file I'm told
>> not the
>>>>> digibeta master that is used for air. The tape is just a backup. Oh
>> well
>>>>> why does avid interpret the QT ama wrong when I set it too interlace.
>>>>> HMMMMMMMMM
>>>>>>
>>>>>> John Moore
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Barking Trout Productions
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Studio City, CA
>>>>>>
>>>>>> bigfish@...
>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:
>>>>> http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
>>>>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ------------------------------------
>>>>
>>>> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:
>> http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
>>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> With best wishes,
>>> Roger Shufflebottom
>>> +44 7973 543 660
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

With best wishes,
Roger Shufflebottom
+44 7973 543 660

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment