Saturday, August 18, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: One ama clip bogs down SNDX 5.5.3 on mac?

I've noticed terrible sluggishness with AMA AVCHD files. Dragged a couple
hours' worth to a timeline for transcoding (washing files for Avid DS) and
MC6 was not happy. I wound up doing it in 20-25 minute chunks, then
transcoded the sequences. MC was happier when I cleared both the source and
record monitors cleared.

----
*john heiser | senior video editor*
*o2**ideas*
birmingham, alabama, USA
http://vimeo.com/johnheiser



On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Terence Curren <tcurren@aol.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> You have to turn off AMA if you don't want it to automount drives.
> However, Avid only looks on the surface level of the drive, so you can drop
> any QTs, etc into a folder on that drive and you won't have a problem. And
> yes, plenty of us have asked for a "don't auto mount from drives" option,
> but it hasn't happened yet. Wait until you plug in a USB stick with a few
> files on it while you are working….
>
> As for the sluggishness, yes, I too have experienced that with AMA files.
> I think it has to do more with the codec than anything length. I had a RED
> job that drove me nuts with the "right click / wait forever" thing.
>
> It appears worse in 6 as you don't get an hourglass. So you have no idea
> what the heck is going on. Lots of things that are slow in 6 do the same
> thing. No hourglass, so… am I hung, have I crashed, is it doing something,
> did I not actually click it? Amazing how the little feedback of progress
> bars or hourglasses makes such a huge psychological difference on time
> perception.
>
> Finally, I find with AMA file that play back choppy in the timeline, that
> it is usually the audio that is the culprit. Make a video only sequence and
> suddenly you can play fine. In those situations I find exporting and
> reimporting just the audio tracks solves everything. Amazing that Avid can
> play video but not audio smoothly since it obviously takes more horsepower
> to play video. Maybe it's because the GPU is used for video and the CPU for
> audio? Just taking shots in the dark here.
>
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, John Moore <bigfish@...> wrote:
> >
> > One ama clip bogs down SNDX 5.5.3 on mac?
> > Now that I've moved to SNDX 5.5.3 Mac os 10.6.8 I find when I ama link
> to one long SD avid 1:1 .mov file of a 50 minute ish show the whole system
> gets very laggy. I hit the hamburger menu and it's 5 to 6 seconds for it
> to open and I get spinning beach ball for several seconds when right
> clicking before things happen. I'm getting use to the sluggishness but
> this seems very problematic and I only have one bin with one ama clip cut
> into it's own sequence so I can play it back through my Tek scope for error
> logging. I haven't notice ama being so sluggish on other systems but I
> haven't worked much with ama. Is this because it's a long clip? Also I
> found when I plugged in an external LaCie usb drive avid automatically
> opened a bin with the drives name and proceeded to churn for several
> minutes. Quiting avid and restarting without unmounting the LaCie drive
> and Avid did not create the automatic bin. Is that a preference
> somewhere? I looked under
> > ama setting but it looked like I could turn off ama on the next restart
> but nothing about auto mounting new volumes. Is that a bin setting? I'm
> locked out of my sytem right now so I can't explore.
> >
> > John Moore
> >
> > Barking Trout Productions
> >
> > Studio City, CA
> >
> > bigfish@...
>
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment