Saturday, August 18, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: One ama clip bogs down SNDX 5.5.3 on mac?

 

You have to turn off AMA if you don't want it to automount drives. However, Avid only looks on the surface level of the drive, so you can drop any QTs, etc into a folder on that drive and you won't have a problem. And yes, plenty of us have asked for a "don't auto mount from drives" option, but it hasn't happened yet. Wait until you plug in a USB stick with a few files on it while you are working….

As for the sluggishness, yes, I too have experienced that with AMA files. I think it has to do more with the codec than anything length. I had a RED job that drove me nuts with the "right click / wait forever" thing.

It appears worse in 6 as you don't get an hourglass. So you have no idea what the heck is going on. Lots of things that are slow in 6 do the same thing. No hourglass, so… am I hung, have I crashed, is it doing something, did I not actually click it? Amazing how the little feedback of progress bars or hourglasses makes such a huge psychological difference on time perception.

Finally, I find with AMA file that play back choppy in the timeline, that it is usually the audio that is the culprit. Make a video only sequence and suddenly you can play fine. In those situations I find exporting and reimporting just the audio tracks solves everything. Amazing that Avid can play video but not audio smoothly since it obviously takes more horsepower to play video. Maybe it's because the GPU is used for video and the CPU for audio? Just taking shots in the dark here.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, John Moore <bigfish@...> wrote:
>
> One ama clip bogs down SNDX 5.5.3 on mac?
> Now that I've moved to SNDX 5.5.3 Mac os 10.6.8 I find when I ama link to one long SD avid 1:1 .mov file of a 50 minute ish show the whole system gets very laggy.  I hit the hamburger menu and it's 5 to 6 seconds for it to open and I get spinning beach ball for several seconds when right clicking before things happen.  I'm getting use to the sluggishness but this seems very problematic and I only have one bin with one ama clip cut into it's own sequence so I can play it back through my Tek scope for error logging.  I haven't notice ama being so sluggish on other systems but I haven't worked much with ama.  Is this because it's a long clip?  Also I found when I plugged in an external LaCie usb drive avid automatically opened a bin with the drives name and proceeded to churn for several minutes.  Quiting avid and restarting without unmounting the LaCie drive and Avid did not create the automatic bin.  Is that a preference somewhere?  I looked under
> ama setting but it looked like I could turn off ama on the next restart but nothing about auto mounting new volumes.  Is that a bin setting?  I'm locked out of my sytem right now so I can't explore.
>
> John Moore
>
> Barking Trout Productions
>
> Studio City, CA
>
> bigfish@...
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment