Saturday, July 28, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] New edition of Steve Cohen's book

 

You're making me feel better about my hoard of back editions of "Science Times," the Tuesday science supplement to the NY Times. I would actually be happy to be a solely digital subscriber to the Times. Most of the time I read the online edition anyway. But I can find no precise online equivalent to the Tuesday science supplement (though I might be able to dig it out of the Times Reader), and no real way to hoard it. Random science articles aren't enough - I want the whole enchilada.

Shirley

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hullfish <steve4lists@veralith.com>
To: Avid-L2 <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Jul 28, 2012 8:38 am
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] New edition of Steve Cohen's book

Trust me, this is my feeling (crappy licensing, no transfers) with iTunes music
and media, iBooks, ebooks, audio books, electronic magazine subscriptions, etc.

This stuff is cheaper than ever for publishers to disseminate and yet we have
less ownership of the product that we "buy." My dad probably still has 200
National Geographic magazines that he can still read. My Popular Science
magazines on my iPad regularly "disappear" when I most want to read them,
requiring tech support just to read what I "own."

My point is just that if you have a license for one book, owning ANOTHER book
shouldn't kill the license for the first book.

Steve Hullfish
contributor: www.provideocoalition.com
author: "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction"

On Jul 28, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Shirley Gutierrez <guanacaa@aol.com> wrote:

> To which I add that you can loan your physical book or give it away, and no
publisher has anything to say about it. And we want people without lots of
discretionary income to still be able to read, whether it's to educate
themselves generally or improve themselves professionally.
>

> Downloaded e-
> books are not owned by the downloader. It's a license, just like any
> software. This a big bone of contention for readers between REAL
> books (that you can physically own) and e-books, which are just files
> on an e-reader. It's a major change in the way we read books and many
> are not happy about it.
> In a hundred years when your e-reader can no longer function
> (actually, I'm sure it will be sooner), your e-books will be useless.
> In a hundred years, your ACTUAL book will continue to be readable.
> And no publisher will be able to take it away from you.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment