Friday, July 20, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Field Motion Parameter When is it set and how?

Replies inline:

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Field Motion Parameter When is it set and how?
> I'm working on a show that has a mixture of 59.94I DNX 220 clips and XDCAM
> EX 35Mbits (1080p/29.97) clips. Most of the video is interlace so that is
> my project type. I see the green dots on the EX clips for the auto motion
> adapter of both fields. I can manually change the field motion on the ex
> clips to interlace and refresh motion adapters to get rid of the green dot
> auto motion adapters. Am I being too anal here? I just don't like an
> effect if I don't have to.
>
Since the source material is progressive and your sequence is interlaced,
the effect in question is simply letting you know that this needs to be
accounted for. The motion adapter does that - in your case, it's converting
each frame into two fields.

MC is great at determining field motion from clips that have codecs that
are native to MC. It is TERRIBLE at determining field motion from anything
else.

Great = P2, XDCAM, DVCProHD, DNxHD
Terrible = ProRes, H.264

If you link any of the ones I mentioned in the "terrible" column, you need
to set Field Motion manually. Otherwise, it will call it "Unknown" and the
motion adapters will be off, badly. Amazingly, it thinks ProRes and H.264
movies at 23.976fps are interlaced. I've called Avid out on this and they
have yet to tell me how they're going to fix it. When I'm onlining, I see
this all the time, from editors who don't know or don't care about the
CRITICAL Field Motion column for AMA linked clips.


> As I wrote above the EX clips are shown as 1080P in the video column.
> When is that determined and by what?
>

MC makes a guess based on the metadata in the source. As I said before,
when it's native, it's usually right, and when it's not, it calls it
Unknown.


> These are ama linked clips that have been consolidated. Does the project
> type when I do the consolidate determine the 1080P or is it derived from
> metadata in the EX native clips?
>
Metadata.


> I was told by the AE that when mounting and linking to the high res ama EX
> clips I had to have the project in 29.97P format.
>
Not true at all. You can have your project in a 30i NTSC format and link to
1080/23.976p stuff just fine. You just have to pay attention to the Field
Motion and Reformat columns before consolidating/transcoding.


> I assume that means that it would play a role in the ama relinking
> process but I don't know for sure. I didn't try to break it yet but any
> experience or insight would be appreciated. The field motion parameter can
> be adjusted manually one clip at a time as far as I can tell. Is there a
> way to batch change a bunch of clips?
>
Unfortunately no. This is another thing I've called Avid out on. You can
batch change certain column values (like Reformat), but you can't batch
change Field Motion. I have a carpal tunnel that can vouch for this.

Good luck...



> I'm on mac sndx 4.0.5. TIA
>
> John Moore
>
> Barking Trout Productions
>
> Studio City, CA
>
> bigfish@pacbell.net
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment