Friday, February 24, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: [FCP-L] Need Help with Simple Editing of VIDEO_TS files

 

Thanks so far for all the help.

I have a demuxed version with 1 long AC3 audio file and 1 long video file. So far so good.

I need to drop 3 frames in the middle of the audio track.

Ideally I want a program that opens an AC3 file, lets me edit it (cutting out a few frames) and slide the latter part of the track so there is no gap (and there is sync) and save it as one track.

Audacity claims to open AC3 tracks but doesn't seem to work -- it shows a file of the right length, but no waveform or audio.

MPEG Streamclip plays the file, but appears to only let me select an in or out for a clip and trim it. It doesn't appear to let me do this to the head section and tail section and splice the two together!

This is simple stuff I did in the early 90s on a Dyaxis, before ProTools existed.

Should I convert the AC3 to something else? That seems to be the easiest path.

Jeff

On Feb 24, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Rich Young wrote:

> I haven't done DVDs for awhile but Adobe Encore DVD added cuts editing as well as a imports of VOB files several years ago. It worked then...
> Rich
>
> --- On Fri, 2/24/12, Jeff Kreines <jeffkreines@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>
> Tod:
>
>
>
> That is what I figured...
>
>
>
> I am able to do the fix with just deleting a couple of frames of audio. Works properly with the project exported to FCP.
>
>
>
> Is there a way (with MPEG Streamclip) to delete the audio that is muxed into the VOB files and replace it with new audio (preferably one piece for the entire 90 minute film)?
>
>
>
> That way theoretically the picture would remain as is...
>
>
>
> Any thoughts?
>
>
>
> Jeff
>
>
>
> On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Tod Hopkins wrote:
>
>
>
>> Even if you manage to hack your way through this, the resulting DVD is unlikely to work properly. Nothing is designed to edit VOB files "in situ" as far as I know.
>
>>
>
>> You could use MPEGStreamclip to extract all the elementary streams from the VOB which you can re-edit and then reauthor back to a new DVD.
>
>>
>
>> I'm not sure if anything can edit an MPEG elementary stream without recompressing on output. You need the continuous GOP structure.
>
>>
>
>> Cheers,
>
>> tod
>
>>
>
>> On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Jeff Kreines wrote:
>
>>
>
>>> Forgive the crossposting.
>
>>>
>
>>> I have what should be a simple problem to deal with.
>
>>>
>
>>> I have a DVD of a film that was compressed on a high-end system from a Digibeta master.
>
>>>
>
>>> I can't access the Avid files (Meridien Symphony) because one of the drives in a RAID (not 5) died. I can't redigitize because I sold my Digibeta deck.
>
>>>
>
>>> There is a point where 2 frames of picture were dropped, apparently on the Digibeta master, and after that the audio is 2 frames out of sync. There is a simple place to add two frames of picture (it's black) right near the missing frames. Simple, right?
>
>>>
>
>>> I would prefer to keep the files encoded as they are, rather than export them to QT or some other format and re=compress them.
>
>>>
>
>>> When I open the files from the DVD in MPEG Streamclip -- the audio folder is empty -- I get 6 VOB files -- names VTS_01_0.VOB and the like. There are other files that MPEG Streamclip can not open -- BUP, IFO. There is also a very small file named VIDEO_TS.VOB.
>
>>>
>
>>> When I open the files that will open in MPEG Streamclip, the video plays but no audio. Open the same files in VLC and the audio plays, no problem.
>
>>>
>
>>> I was assuming that I could just edit the picture in Streamclip, but realized that the audio is embedded (I am assuming) in the VOB files so a cut will just cut to a new section with audio still out of sync.
>
>>>
>
>>> I have exported the audio to AIFF with no problem, and can drop two frames from it easily, but how do I then get the fixed audio to be used with the VOB files? I am trying to avoid any recompression if the picture.
>
>>>
>
>>> Any advice appreciated!
>
>>>
>
>>> Jeff Kreines
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>
>
>> Tod Hopkins
>
>> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
>
>> todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com
>
>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>> ------------------------------------
>
>>
>
>> To learn more about the FinalCutPro-L group, please visit
>
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FinalCutPro-LYahoo! Groups Links
>
>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To learn more about the FinalCutPro-L group, please visit
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FinalCutPro-LYahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment