Saturday, August 13, 2011

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: SmartSound Alternative

 

The randomness if the auto-fit music is exactly what I love about SmartSound/SonicFire Pro. I always manually edit music, usually pretty heavily since there's more magic in there than mist producers (and editors) realize. I usually make a standard 3min version of a piece in Sonicfire Pro to start with, and edit that up.

But here's the really cool thing. If I'm not getting a key change or open or close that's working for me, I'll go back into SonicFir Pro and change the duration by just a few seconds. And it will resolve the change by generating acdifferent key change, open or close.

I don't give a wild spit about autotiming music, will never let it happen when I'm on the edit. But for generating endless variations to put in my toybox while manually cutting music, I've found nothing better.

But yeah, though I appreciate a great amount of their compositions, it would be nice to have other companies using the same technology. Sometimes patents are more restrictive than the patent system us designed to allow.

So right now it's Saturaay night and I'm sitting in a drive-in movie between features. Planet of the Apes was a good reboot-reboot. I'll let you know about Indiana Jones vs. James Bond.

--
Jeff Cook
jeff@cookstudios.com
703-980-1104 (cell)

CookStudios.com
Freelance Video Editing
Washington DC & Portable

On Aug 13, 2011, at 9:05 PM, "Ian Johnson" <ijohnson2@earthlink.net> wrote:

>
>
> I've never really had a track I couldn't edit. I always find out how many
> frames long a measure is, and if I make a cut at a multiple of that duration
> from a down beat, it will sound good, usually the first time. You can get
> by with cutting on the half measure, and half that again if you are
> desperate and can cover with a sound effect. If the track has a definite
> ending, I can usually find a way to cut it in to finish the track within a
> half second or so of where I need it.
>
>
>
> A conforming duration like :30 :60, etc doesn't really make editing music
> any easier unless you are using the supplied cutdowns. I never do because
> they never seem to change where I need them to change. Are the show
> durations only determined by the length of the content? Find out how long a
> musical phrase is in the track (usually 4 or 8 measures) and shoot for a
> duration that is an even multiple of that amount. Usually you can get it to
> within a second or so of where the show will naturally end, and can adjust a
> few cuts to get the video to line up with the music.
>
>
>
>
>
> Ian
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
> blafarm
> Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:34 PM
> To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Avid-L2] Re: SmartSound Alternative
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks Philip and Oliver.
>
> I had a feeling there was not much else like it.
>
> We've scoured their library -- and tapped-out all relevant tracks.
>
> And, as his show durations constantly change -- and are at odd
> non-conforming values -- editing is rarely productive.
>
> Guess it's time to lower the bar once again -- and include the next lower
> tier of SmartSound tracks -- that aren't really appropriate for his work --
> but which will at least add some variety.
>
> Thanks again to you both.
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Avid-L2%40yahoogroups.com> ,
> "oliverpetersvidy" <oliverpeters@...> wrote:
>>
>>> blafarm wrote:
>>> However, their music selection is a bit limited for his application.
>>
>> Have you looked at purchasing more music scores from their library?
>>
>> Adobe had similar features within Soundbooth, but that's gone with the
> release of CS5.5. However, you might still find some copy floating around
> along with matching scores. Their selection was very limited, but at least
> it might add a few new sounds.
>>
>> I have SmartSound, but more often than not go with music libraries and
> edit the tracks to length. I use this one (MyMusicSource.com) a lot, along
> with Killer tracks.
>>
>> - Oliver
>>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
>
> If you want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

If you want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment