Thursday, January 6, 2011

[Avid-L2] Searching for Quality DVDs

 

Maybe its the proverbial "pot at the end of the rainbow" but I am continuously searching to make a quality DVD from a sequence. I am never happy with the outcome. Sometimes the saturation blasts me out of the room, or I see interlace artifacting or just a general fuzz that looks like crap. I am hoping some of you master encoders can help. Part of the problem is getting my head around all the various parameters to deal with. I have access to DVDSP, Encore, AE, FCP and Avid. My Avid sequence is about 18 minutes, shot HD on AVCHD at a mix of frame rates. Edited the sequence at 29.97 at 1280x720p which is the size of most of the video.

I burned two tests today, a QT reverence in Encore (used progressive frame setting, and scaled in Encore) and a Pro Res progressive QT export made in compressor (scaled to 720x480) and encoded in DVDSP. Both DVDs are SD. I will need to make both Blu-Ray and SD versions of this movie eventually. Both of the test DVDs look over-saturated, slightly fuzzy and I see interlace lines on motion shots. I know the SD will look a little fuzzy on the big screen but I am hoping for some improvement. I'm sure everyone has their own technique so I may be opening up a can of worms but: What is the workflow for the best quality final delivery? Should I export from Avid as animation QT and scale in AE, then take that QT to DVDSP? Should I be interlacing? Top or Bottom? Do I follow the standard Avid lower interlace program? Why is the saturation so cranked?

Given the software I have access too, what path should I take Obi Wan?

thanks
Lou
Lou Wirth Productions
500Tamal Plaza, Suite 522
Corte Madera, CA 94925
www.louwirth.com
415-924-9411p


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment