Saturday, January 29, 2011

[Avid-L2] Re: Making the 32-64bit Leap

 

I agree. As a 32bit app Avid can only access 4GB of the RAM.
A 64 bit OS does allow more than 4GB to be accessed so MC can get to all of 4GB and not share it with the OS.
But unless you need to run RAM hungry apps in the background (not a good idea) then 6-8 GB is plenty.
Also classic Nitris isn't supported on Win 7 64 bit ( and we've tried it and found it unstable)
So it's vista 64 or XP 32 for classic Nitris.
DX and you can go Windows 7 64.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Job ter Burg (L2B)" <Job_L2@...> wrote:
>
> P.S. I'm on 8GB. I didn't see the point in more RAM as the Avid can't use more than four. That leaves four for Win 7. I hardly use other apps.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 28 jan. 2011, at 18:46, Christopher Pitbladdo <avid@...> wrote:
>
> > Thanks gang! It's much appreciated!
> >
> > Enjoy the rest of your Friday.
> > CP
> >
> > *Christopher Pitbladdo
> > Creative Director
> >
> > DB Creative*
> > 496 Ferry Road
> > Edinburgh
> > EH5 2DL
> >
> > Tel: 0131 552 5530
> > Mob: 07590 570 683
> > Email: christopher@... <mailto:christopher@...>
> > Web: www.dbcreative.tv <http://www.dbcreative.tv>
> >
> > Award-Winning Avid SD/HD Symphony Editing in Edinburgh
> >
> >
> > On 28/01/2011 17:33, Steve Pomerantz wrote:
> >>
> >> We made the same jump about 2 months ago. Running Symphony 5.0.3 on
> >> Vista 64 with 12 gigs of RAM. I won't say that it's "crash free", but
> >> it's light years ahead of where we were on XP Pro. The shows I'm
> >> onlining now wouldn't have even opened on the old box.
> >>
> >> Steve Pomerantz
> >> Senior Editor
> >> Digital Ranch Productions
> >> Sherman Oaks, CA
> >>
> >> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Avid-L2%40yahoogroups.com>,
> >> "Terence Curren" <tcurren@> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Running Symphony on Vista 64 and Windows 7 here also.
> >>>
> >>> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Avid-L2%40yahoogroups.com>,
> >> Christopher Pitbladdo <avid@> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>> Afternoon everyone,
> >>>>
> >>>> So, I upgraded to V5 Symphony a few months back, at the start of a
> >> new
> >>>> project. In the early stages of the edit, I was making simple
> >> cuts, and
> >>>> V5 Symphony was looking swell. Then, as I started getting more
> >> involved
> >>>> with the application, doing more intricate things, my HPXW8600
> >> running
> >>>> Vista Business 32bit started crashing an awful lot... Whenever I was
> >>>> doing anything complex, or zipping around the timeline.
> >>>>
> >>>> I wondered if everyone else was experiencing this, and kinda
> >> dismissed
> >>>> it as the price you pay for being at the cutting edge of the
> >> industry.
> >>>> That, and just being so damn busy, trying to work with the footage
> >> with
> >>>> my director led me not to question the crashing.
> >>>>
> >>>> Today though, with a bit of time on my hands, I decided to look a
> >> little
> >>>> closer at the situation... It was getting silly, with me saving my
> >> work
> >>>> after virtually every single edit.
> >>>>
> >>>> So I started searching the Internet to see if others were
> >> experiencing
> >>>> my 'Std: bad allocation', 'Fatal Error' and 'Core Unable To Do'
> >> errors,
> >>>> that would let me save my work, but then have to restart the
> >>>> application... nine or ten times a day.
> >>>>
> >>>> Imagine my surprise when I learned that Symphony V5 isn't
> >> qualified on a
> >>>> 32bit Vista!
> >>>>
> >>>> So, before I take the plunge and install Windows 7 Professional, I'd
> >>>> just like to ask anyone with a similar setup, are you crash-free? Is
> >>>> everyone else going through this too? Will Windows 7 Pro eliminate
> >> all
> >>>> my woes?
> >>>>
> >>>> Job? Think you've got a similar setup, don't you?
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks everyone,
> >>>> CP
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>>
> >>>> *Christopher Pitbladdo
> >>>> Creative Director
> >>>>
> >>>> DB Creative*
> >>>> 496 Ferry Road
> >>>> Edinburgh
> >>>> EH5 2DL
> >>>>
> >>>> Tel: 0131 552 5530
> >>>> Mob: 07590 570 683
> >>>> Email: christopher@ <mailto:christopher@>
> >>>> Web: www.dbcreative.tv <http://www.dbcreative.tv>
> >>>>
> >>>> Award-Winning Avid SD/HD Symphony Editing in Edinburgh
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> >
> > Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment