Saturday, December 11, 2010

[Avid-L2] Re: Partitioning drives for different MC projects

 

Well any time I have to deal with another department I get slowed down. I'm sure your system works for BM but when I run into a revised cut and just need 4 shots captured I can do it in minutes but when I have to find an assistant to do it I can wait for a lot longer than it takes me to just do it. That's just the reality every where I work. I'm talking about finishing/online not the offline process. The one thing I've asked about FCP and FCP rescue is when you trash preferences with FCP rescue the next launch of FCP asks me what capture scratch disk I want and it sets all the various folders to that drive. When I go back later to change the location I seem to have to go through several parameters. This may be do to my lack of FCP chops but I like the one button approach I get after trashing preferences. I'd love to know how to get that functionality without trashing the preferences with FCP rescue. Of course that's a question for another list.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markraudonis@...> wrote:
>
> But Roger,
>
> Once you have multiple users and shared storage, you should be so far past "individual digitizing" that that the "scratch disc" location is irrelevent. Think "ingest department" rather than one person/one system.
>
> It's digitizing "evolved"... and when you can do that, you won't miss Avid ONE BIT!
>
> Mark
>
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Roger Shufflebottom <rogshuff@> wrote:
> >
> > Once you have multiple users running FCP and forgetting to set the scratch disk location you'll be happy with the Avid approach.
> >
> > On 10 Dec 2010, at 03:29, blafarm wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, on every project.
> > >
> > > You know, it's really a shame that in 20+ years -- Avid has not provided users with a simple way to "path" the application to a project-based media folder -- instead of commandeering every storage volume and creating an AvidMediaFiles folder on it.
> > >
> > > Furthermore, it's really a damn shame that in 20 years -- Avid has not provided a simple "Back-up This Project" option to the application. I mean really -- how hard is that?
> > >
> > > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Zak Ray <zaksforummail@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Because of MC, ProTools, and other apps storing their files in the root of an external HD, I've gotten in the habit of making a new partition for every Avid project. This way, if I need to do a fast copy of everything used in a project, I know I can just copy that particular drive.
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone else employ this practice? Any reason why I shouldn't?
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > With best wishes.
> > Roger Shufflebottom
> > +44 7974 543 660
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment