Friday, October 2, 2009

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Why isn't Avid marketing all over this story?

I think the article made it abundantly clear that the Avid editors
were only claiming that FCP wasn't right for their SPECIFIC workflow.

I've interviewed plenty of FCP folks with big, connected set-ups,
though and the amount of jury-rigging and workarounds that I witness
to get FCP to work in a group environment leads me to believe that FCP
isn't right for MOST installations unless you are working on your own
independent project.

Don't get me wrong. I am editing a job right now and I'm cutting it on
FCP. So as much as I love my Meridien Symphony and MCSoft, I still do
certain projects on FCP. I'm not saying that it's bad software, but I
AM saying that FCP is a bad choice in a lot of situations that are
very professional. That doesn't mean that FCP editors AREN'T
professional or that FCP isn't a professional app. It simply means
that Avid knows the high-end, deadline driven part of the business
that relies on multiple professionals working together in post to
deliver a product and they do THAT better than FCP.

If I ran a TV station or a network, I would count on Avid. If I was
running an ad agency, I might consider FCP. If I was cutting a
documentary... well, that could go either way, but I'd prefer a bunch
of the tools in Avid.

On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Oliver Peters wrote:

> Steve,
>
> This same article has been debated on a few other forums, too.
> Unfortunately it doesn't sound to me like FCP wasn't capable of doing
> the job. It sounds to me like a crew of Avid editors who wanted to set
> up FCP shared storage like Avid Unity and weren't ready to change the
> workflow to make it work. There may be valid reasons for this, but it
> doesn't make one or the other system more appropriate for the task.
> Only for this situation. It also sounds like too little storage was
> installed, which wasn't the fault of either system.
>
> - Oliver
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:

http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Avid L2, Where the Answers are.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment