Monday, April 15, 2024

Re: [Avid-L2] Least expensive but capable computer for MC?

Thank you for the replies.

I am running 2023.3.1 MC (though now that we are between projects I will likely upgrade.)

There is another editor on the project and we swap sequences.

The current workflow is to create DNxHR LB proxies (3840x2160) from the 4k and then edit in a 1080 sequence. That allows us to use Frameflex and the punch-ins will carry over when the proxies are uprezzed.  I doubt that workflow will change.

The full hour has several tracks of video - though largely stacked so that they aren't seen - and naturally a sizing effect on any proxy since it is a 1080 sequence.

When MC is open, my memory use goes up to around 30.21 GB which isn't much headroom on my 32 GB machine. Curiously, even if I close all the bins so no sequences are loaded, memory use stays up around that same level. 

I run everything off of this one computer which I am sure aggravates the situation with background processes like Dropbox running.

From talking with some Avid folks, I get the impression that people can make things work with 32 GB of memory but the computer will be much happier at 64 GB. 

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024, at 11:36 AM, Secret HQ wrote:
Oh - I reread your query and see your already on M1.  I agree with Ashley.  Even for color grading in resolve I work in HD until output, effectively a proxy workflow.  So maybe try that before buying a new computer.
________________________
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com



On Apr 15, 2024, at 08:05, danlist via groups.io <danlist=bestmail.us@groups.io> wrote:

Hello to this rather quiet list,

I have been editing an hour program with 4k proxies on a MBP M1 Max with 32 GB, and it has been a bit of a struggle, which seems to be related to not having enough memory. (On the activity monitor, the RAM is always in orange right at the top.)

I just finished one project, and before I launch into another, I am likely going to get rid of this computer for another.

What does everyone recommend in Mac or Windows if I don't want to spend a lot of money but need to chug through an hour-long 4k timeline?  (I have always been a Mac guy but if the price/performance difference is substantial I may convert.)

Thanks,

Dan




No comments:

Post a Comment