Monday, April 15, 2024

Re: [Avid-L2] Least expensive but capable computer for MC?

About 4 years ago When I finally gave up my Mac Pro cheese graters I switched to a Lenovo with a very big amd 'threadripper,' a ton of RAM and few giant nvidia cards.  I got a great price on all of it, special holiday deal (Memorial Day?) and additional discount for being old. (Seriously!)   All the internal drives are SSD and super fast.  I added the extra RAM and 2nd SSD myself - an advantage with windows.

The hardest thing about windows was turning off all the auto-update features.  Windows will update itself without your permission, at the worst possible time.  Otherwise, MC, premiere and Resolve run like butter.  And you don't need the extra killer graphics cards if you don't run premiere and resolve.  You do need a third party app like media encoder  if you have to deliver prores. Although MC and Resolve will play it, they won't render to it in windows. 

Since then Apple has released the m1 m2 m3 Macs - I know several editors who switched to the M1 studio and love it.  There are probably m1 and m2 Macs on close-out that could be a good deal, but I'm not sure how well MC runs on Apple cpus? Tons of ram is important for any media application.

GH
________________________
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com



On Apr 15, 2024, at 08:05, danlist via groups.io <danlist=bestmail.us@groups.io> wrote:


Hello to this rather quiet list,

I have been editing an hour program with 4k proxies on a MBP M1 Max with 32 GB, and it has been a bit of a struggle, which seems to be related to not having enough memory. (On the activity monitor, the RAM is always in orange right at the top.)

I just finished one project, and before I launch into another, I am likely going to get rid of this computer for another.

What does everyone recommend in Mac or Windows if I don't want to spend a lot of money but need to chug through an hour-long 4k timeline?  (I have always been a Mac guy but if the price/performance difference is substantial I may convert.)

Thanks,

Dan



No comments:

Post a Comment