Saturday, September 9, 2023

Re: [Avid-L2] OWC Thunderbolt Pro Dock Display port connectivity? Current Status of what's working

For those playing along.  I've got my setup working but I haven't actually done any heavy lifting or editing yet.  Here are my connections on the Lap Top
1)  TB3 to OWC Thunderbolt Pro TB3 Dock
2)  TB3 to Apple multiport VGA with USB A and pass through or perhaps USB C.  This feeds one of my HP GUI monitors (1920x1080)
3)  TB3 connected to a TB3 to TB2 adapter that then hook into my DNxIO.  This seem to work and pass video but I've yet to drive it hard.

On the Dock:
1)  TB 3 Cable from MBP
2)  Display Port to VGA adapter that feeds the second HP GUI monitor (1920x1080)
3)  USB C port to Ethernet Adapter to connect to my home network
4)  Front Panel USB 3 to my trusty and crusty old G5 keyboard.
5)  Back USB 3 connector to an external Graid or whatever drive.
6)  10 Gig Ethernet Port will eventually connect to my QNAP 10 gig Ethernet switch to access my QNAP Storage Chassis.
7)  2nd TB 3 Port is open but could be used for my QNAP QNA-T310G1T TB3 to 10 Gig Ethernet Adapter if the Docks internal 10gig port doesn't work.  I'm waiting to discuss this with Bob Zelin who will help me configure the QNAP connectivity.
8) 2nd Back USB 3 port is open for now.

I'm running running MC 2023.3.1 and it's all working with my simple tests.

One annoying thing is display assignments.  If the laptop is open then there are 3 screens and Avid factors this into it's workspaces.  It's more reliable to close the lid so there are only two GUI monitors.  This works but I find that the two side by side monitors randomly switch assignments on starting up or restarting.  I've just decided that it's random after doing several restarts without even lifting the laptop lid and every so often the monitors switch sides.  I guess I'll just always have to initially arrange the display monitor preferences to swap monitor and menu bar location whenever it starts/restarts backwards.  This macs me wonder how a Mac Studio behaves with multiple monitors.  I've never understood why computers behave randomly with things like this.  I thought startup is just one bit at a time in the same order every time so why swap monitors?  My guess is it's random which monitor the OS sees first and that factors into the issue.  Just guessing out loud
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#136340) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment