Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Re: [Avid-L2] Reminder of how my brain will fool my eyes or is it vice versa.

I photoshopped it. RGB = 107 on A and B, to my surprise. 

On a different but related note, I wonder how many Avid editors use DaVinci Resolve for CC and finishing? I was 'forced' to use the free Resolve 18 for the first time to 'resolve' HDR issues from a project shot in 4K iPhone footage. Avid 21.12 couldn't export without color distortion. So I removed Avid CC, exported MXF OP1a, and found Resolve surprisingly easy and use, grade, and finish in. 


Roberto Miller
Director • Pure Grain Digital • Mountain View • San Francisco • Lyon
roberto@puregrain.com  |  Pure Grain Digital Productions 

On Jul 19, 2023, at 1:41 PM, Benjamin Hershleder <Ben@ContactBen.com> wrote:



Yep! When I teach about this I reveal that your eyes (brain, really, I guess) are essentially lying to you all the time. There are a few classic examples of how the brain interprets/misinterprets luma and chroma information based on various assumptions the brain makes automatically. 

Here's another one:

<optical illusion.jpg>

As the note in the top left corner states, squares A and B are the same value of gray. If you're dubious, bring the image into Photoshop and use the Color Picker (Eyedropper) and look at the RGB values.

For some info on color and our lying eyes, Google for SIMULTANEOUS CONTRAST; and SUCCESSIVE CONTRAST.

Cheers!

Benjamin




/

On Jul 19, 2023, at 10:18 AM, avid_curren via groups.io <tcurren=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Perfect example of why we use scopes.
--
Terence Curren
Burbank, Ca
 


No comments:

Post a Comment