Wednesday, January 18, 2023

[Avid-L2] HEIF, HEVC, HEIC Alphabet Soup of Codecs WTF???

I was given a still image that my "mediainfo" program showed as HEVC.  I figured this is from an iPhone.  Couldn't get it to open or import into Avid.  The OS saw the picture in the desktop window but the icon was for a terminal document.  I tried adding the extension .HEVC but no luck.  After a bunch of googles seeing HEVC mention with HEIC I finally added the .heic extension and then Preview would open the picture and I could then export to a tiff or jpeg etc...

So here is my new list of codec related acronyms that I haven't worked with much that I will surely forget by tomorrow and have to regoogle again:

HEIF= High Efficency Image File Format,  (why not HEIFF???)

HEVC=High Efficiency Video Coding also known as H-265

HEIC=A file containing HEVC encoded images

So all this results in the following sentence in Wikipedia:
" HEVC is an image and video encoding format and the default image codec used with HEIF. HEIF files containing HEVC-encoded images are also known as HEIC files. "

So how I stumbled onto adding the .HEIC is beyond me but it worked for the still.

How would I contact the MPeg Group or SMPTE to suggest all these files be renamed "Fred."  I knew a dog named Fred and he was a nice Chocolate Lab and his name was easy to remember.  Can we all just agree to call these files Freds?  It would make me very happy.  Some days I really miss Bob Z's shotgun.  ;-)

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment