Wednesday, December 14, 2022

[Avid-L2] CPU cores, speed, number of... diminishing returns?

I've been shopping for a replacement Dell/HP tower workstation for a while now.  I've read the Avid specifications and recommendations and have explored a number of Good, Better, Best options.  CPU speed over core count is prominently stated.  The balancing equation of speed and core count is a gray area.  I've also noted a number of single CPU systems being certified.

I recently started using a Dell 7760 I9 11th Gen laptop for editing and find it performs surprisingly well for everyday HD file-based editing.  I just ordered a Dell 7770 I9 12th Gen with even more horsepower and will compare that to the 7760.

My gut tells me I would like a tower workstation for the main edit suite, that's what I've used since Adrenaline.   Yet, when I build a custom Dell or HP tower I feel as though I'm piecing together dated tech.  Surprisingly not a single major OEM is offering native Thunderbolt support in their towers, and their optional TB boards are behind the curve.  Nor will they divulge if/when they will offer native onboard TB support.  The tower CPU options also seem to be lagging behind those found in their laptops.

My questions are:

Have CPU's reached a performance point where a single is sufficient and a dual setup doesn't justify the cost in non-effects heavy post?

Are towers even necessary any more for routine file-based editing?

Cheers,

Karl Knowles
Tallahassee, FL
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135967) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment