Friday, August 12, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] Old Media Drives

But if the drives are striped those adapters probably won't work. I'd just copy the files to an single SCSI drive and then use an adapter to mount that drive on your modern Mac. Of course drive format and the file formats may be a problem…

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff@kinetta.com
kinetta.com

Sent from iPhone. 

On Aug 12, 2022, at 8:12 AM, David Zimmerly via groups.io <davidzimmerly=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

I would use Ethernet.


On Aug 12, 2022, at 9:10 AM, editbruboy <bruno@bmansi.co.uk> wrote:



That will only work if the SCSI drives are single drives and not striped in any way.  I would imagine that the media drives from this era were probably striped in RAID 0.

I would see if it's possible to open up the case and install another hard drive in a spare bay. Once formatted you should be able to copy the necessary files across.

This drive can then be removed and attached to a modern machine via a hard drive caddy/dock.

On 12/08/2022 13:57, Mark Spano via groups.io wrote:
Hi Sol,

You should be able to find a SCSI to USB adapter fairly inexpensively. I would think that's the easiest way to go for this rather than trying to interface the machines.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 8:43 AM Sol Fischler via groups.io <sol.fischler=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All —

I still have my old 1999 Avid XL system, running on a PowerPC G3 — pre-USB, pre-firewire. 


I still have the SCSI docks & drives that went along with this system.  I'd like to save a lot of the media that's still on the drives before I finally get rid of the system -- family stuff, etc. 


I also have a mid-2010 Mac Pro desktop running OS 10.9.5, and a MacBook Pro running OS 10.15.7.


My question: is there any way either to connect this Mac to a more modern Mac (ethernet to ethernet…?) and access the media that way, or are there SCSI cards that would work in the Mac Pro and allow me to connect the drives directly? 

Some of the drives are striped pairs, and some might not be…  I don't remember if the MediaDock is striped pairs or not.


…or is there any other way at all to get the media off the drives?


Thanks in advance!

-- Sol


No comments:

Post a Comment