Monday, May 23, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] Is 300 DPI enough for scanning still in 4K?

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm never on the scanning end so I usually check the dpi of the file I get more for reasons as to why it won't work than anything else.  Makes perfect sense to ask for the number of pixels.

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 05:11 PM, Dave Hogan wrote:
Using DPI can be a trap.  Go with a spec of total raster size.  Horizontal dimension should be AT LEAST the same as the width of your raster.
 
If you are in 4K, and never plan to blow up the photo, ask for 4K as the horizontal dimension.  I would ask for higher, so I can zoom in on detail of the photo.
 
The reason DPI is a trap is that it is affected by the size of the original photo.  If it is a 5x7 portrait, 300 dpi x 5 is only 1,500 pixels, in a raster of almost 4000 pixels,.
 
If you are scanning slides, 300 dpi would only get you a raster of about 300 pixels.
 
Request the total size you want, and I would specify 8,000 pixels in the horizontal dimension.
 
My .02,
 
Dave Hogan,
Burbank, CA

On May 23, 2022, at 4:53 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

Traditionally video was considered 75dpi ish.  Now with 4K is 300 DPI adequate for scanning stills?  I never get asked but just receive stills as they are.  I have rarely gotten anything scanned over 300 DPI.  Now I'm being asked what stills should be scanned at.  Is there any downside to suggesting 300 DPI?
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135839) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment