Thursday, April 14, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] 29.97 to 23.976 for a Series?

Mark,
Name 1 (just ONE) player that does NOT support 29.97.
I know that 99% of still in use CRT's / first generation flatscreens do NOT support 23.976.
Mono / B&W compatible is still required here, I bet it's the same over there. (Not that i'm willing to take you on on the subect.)

Then, do your homework and figure out what part of the world I live in, and while you're at it, forget I exist, I'll try to do the same for you.

Bouke



On 14 Apr 2022, at 15:18, Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com> wrote:

Bouke you're hilarious. First, he says spec demands delivery at 23.976p. Then your other laughable comment about "the only reason for 23.976p" - what part of the earth do you live? Almost everything in the US is 23.976p, including all the shows and movies on your favorite streaming platforms.

John - where I work I use an Alchemist PhC+ for those types of conversions. Resolve's Optical Flow and Speed Warp AI can be great, and also murder on CPU. And many times you're still dealing with artifacting like FluidMotion, so it's not a good tack to take going that route for a whole show.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 8:05 AM bouke <bouke@editb.nl> wrote:


On 14 Apr 2022, at 09:42, Bouke (Edit 'B) <bouke@editb.nl> wrote:

I'm suggesting to my friend he ask for an exemption to deliver in native frame rate but I don't know who the client or network/streamer is.


Oh, I forgot:
Forget 23.976
The ONLY reason for 23.976p is if you want to go to 29.97i (with pulldown) or to 25p (speeded up)

So, ask to deliver both 29.97p (de-interlaced if the output is web as well as 'standard' broadcast), 29.97i and 25p (or I, depending on the standards conversion used.)

An expensive standard converter (not so expensive anymore since BM took over) can do 29.97i to 25 'something' very well. Adding an extra step trough 23.976 makes no sense at all.


Bouke / edit 'B

videotoolshed.com
Van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS Nijmegen, the Netherlands
+31 6 21817248
If you want to send me large files, please use:
https://videotoolshed.wetransfer.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment