Thursday, April 14, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] 29.97 to 23.976 for a Series?


A friend is starting a series that was shot at 29.97, not sure if it's progressive or 59.94 interlace,

Do NOT mix framerate with interlace. I means that a frame is interlaced, thus 29.97 fps interlaced is still called 29.97, but with an 'i' addition.

and the shows are supposed to be delivered in 23.976.  He'll be working in Resolve and thinks the Optical Flow in Resolve will do a decent conversion but he's not sure.  I know Avid's Fluid Motion conversion is prone to artifacts that can be very problematic.  Does Optical Flow in Resolve have similar issues?  I'm not sure what the under the hood mechanics are for 29.97 media in a Resolve 23.976 project.  I'm not that versed in Resolve's motion adapter specifics.  Are there choices like in Avid's motion adapters to control how the motion is adapted?

I have no clue, but probably testing will be a good idea, perhaps do a couple of runs with different settings, and take the best of either one. (Avid's Pan and Scan to razor mixdowns comes to mind.)

I'm suggesting to my friend he ask for an exemption to deliver in native frame rate but I don't know who the client or network/streamer is.

Of course this will be the best option.


Any suggestions besides flogging production for shooting 29.97?  ;-)

Be happy for the extra work / turnover

Bouke


No comments:

Post a Comment