Saturday, February 5, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] Avid Dongle on Apple Silicon (M1 + derivates)

problems remembering my phone number let alone my Avid license code
With Avid Link, I haven't needed to know mine. I may have had to copy/paste it from an email into the activation box once, but after that no brain power is required. 

Another plus for SW licensing vs dongles, is that it's much harder for a SW license to grow legs and/or end up in someone's pocket, which is why facilities have likely adopted SW licensing so readily. 

Every bit of software or service that I use now is SW based licensing, from BorisFX to Disney+. It's not as scary as you might think. 

I'm no programmer but if Pan and Zoom was written over a weekend, as legend has it, how long would it take to write a dongle driver?  That seems like a pretty rudimentary bit of code to my uneducated in coding brain.
It could be a question of need : motivation. Writing the code for Pan and Zoom was something that was filling a need for a majority at the time. Writing code for a dongle driver will only benefit a small percentage of end users, and there's testing, support, etc involved after the fact. I could also rebuild the fuel injectors in my car in a weekend, but do I want to? No. I also couldn't tell you the last time I've used Avid Pan and Zoom as there are better options available now. Pan and Zoom may have reportedly been written in a weekend, but it hasn't been updated in 10 yrs at least. 
 
--
kenton van natten, post-production mercenary
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135642) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment