Sunday, February 6, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] Avid Dongle on Apple Silicon (M1 + derivates)

In a 2007 interview, LaFontaine explained the strategy behind his signature catchphrase, "in a world where...": We have to very rapidly establish the world we are transporting them to. That's very easily done by saying, "In a world where..." You very rapidly set the scene.
Born: Donald Leroy LaFontaine; August 26, 19...
Other names: Thunder Throat; The Voice of Go...
Occupation: Voice actor




On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 09:29 PM, Mark Spano wrote:
You might have meant the late Hal Douglas, perhaps more famously known for "In a world…"
 
Especially this one:
 
I knew and worked with Hal frequently - a genuinely nice guy. I also worked with Don a few times, let's just say I liked Hal a lot.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 11:36 PM John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:
What Avid clearly misses is that my tired old Dinosaur Brain has problems remembering my phone number let alone my Avid license code.  Also I have found when I go back into the tar pit every night for some reason my dongle floats to the top so I never lose it.  I'm no programmer but if Pan and Zoom was written over a weekend, as legend has it, how long would it take to write a dongle driver?  That seems like a pretty rudimentary bit of code to my uneducated in coding brain.

I haven't had too many issues with Adobe Licensing so I'm sure I can survive without a dongle but I like my Sapphire, Resolve and still working Avid dongles.  Cue the late Don Lafontaine, "In a world without dongles..."  ;-0

It sounds like perhaps this another reason to look to a PC vs. a Mac in the future.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 08:23 AM, Marianna wrote:

Ha John… good comeback. 😊

Do you have any idea what the ratio is of dongle to activation out there? It's pretty surprising and eye opening. If I was to guess and this is my take based on 18 years of supporting them… it is a small #, maybe 15-20% and that's generous. All enterprise has moved on for the most part – while a bunch of rentals still have dongles - it is generally only individuals such as yourself that use them.  Revenue streams are part of it….. you are saying we should invest a lot of money into dongle compatibility so a small percentage of users can use them on Monterey.   They work fine on Win and BigSur and lower. It's a small niche and yes it is the right call to trump it and use that $ for other functionality and features… cloud licensing was one and we have other projects in the kitty being worked on that make the dongle a thing of the past.  When ready to discuss that I will….

MM

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment