Saturday, February 26, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] AMA Link heartache in a remote shared environment

I've screwed that up many times - but not on a project where we're working simultaneously- but on one that I'm handing over to another editor, or adding in a second editor.   Tons of stuff is AMA'd and it doesn't show up when the sequence is transferred. 

 'Relink to file' seems to work in almost all cases, but each editor would probably need the source file.

It used to be that you could just alt-drag-and-drop the offending file into a new 'temp' bin in the duplicate project, and the original AMA would magically also be relinked, but that doesn't really seem to work anymore??

GH

________________________
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
GK Huson, LLC
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com
www.SecretHQ.com


On Feb 26, 2022, at 17:14, Jay Mahavier via groups.io <jay_mahavier=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

 I have a complete lack of faith in the ability of this particular remote editor to be accommodating or technically proficient.  I'm going to do some more testing on the systems I have direct access to.  Maybe I'll figure something out.  I was hoping that someone on the L2 had already worked this issue out before.  I'll post here if I do get something reasonable to work.

Jay


On Feb 26, 2022, at 5:59 PM, Frank Felker <FJFelker@gmail.com> wrote:

Can the remote editor with the AMA links transcode the clips or the edited sequence to your preferred resolution?
Can they export an AAF of the edited sequence?

Otherwise, if you get their bins and the original files, you may be able to re-link to them and then find a way to move those clips into your desired mxf media format.

Good luck, let us know what you do.

frank felker

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 5:59 PM Jay Mahavier via groups.io <jay_mahavier=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was really hoping this nightmare wouldn't happen, but alas.

The setup is 4 different work from home locations.  One of them is very removed in distance.  So I have a central location that MXF media gets loaded to and then each remote station downloads the media updates.  Bins are shared between the different locations and since it's all Avi MXF media everything just links up and is online. 

UNTIL…

After having been explained multiple times that AMA Linking to media will not work in a remote shared environment, one of the 'editors' has done exactly what they were told not to do.  They Linked to a bunch of audio. 

So how do I deal with this?  Technically, not interpersonally.  What is the solution to get this bin/sequence from them that has linked audio and then get it converted to Avid MXF media?  Can I import on my end and relink the sequence?  Can I batch import?  I mean I've tried some of this and it has not worked, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.  I rarely deal with AMA linking and when I do it's very specific and on single workstations, no sharing.

Do I have to get the original files from them, import them and re-edit all the audio, and reset all the levels on the clips?  I mean if I have to I will, but just wondering if there was a less soul crushing way to get it done.

The remote editors are on v2018.  I have access to v2018 and v2021.


Thank you,
Jay







No comments:

Post a Comment