Monday, September 6, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Why is a keyable Animation Codec graphic generating a "8 bits greyscale (Y800)" alpha channel?

You are correct that Animation at 100% is lossless, but it is an old 8-bit codec. Uncompressed 8-bit was once a commonly used codec, too.
Attached are the render settings in Adobe Media Encoder, note in the area I circled the only options for bit depth are 8bpc and 8bpc + alpha (which just adds a 4th 8-bit channel as the alpha).
If there's a way to get it to work in 10 bit (or greater) I've never seen it (but I'll leave that to folks who have more codec expertise than me).

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 11:02 AM Jo's Mailinglists <lists@filter-media.net> wrote:
not sure about QuickTime Animation is only 8 Bit…

afaik QT Animation is transparent up to xBit.

@pale.edit: Source for QT Animation "only 8Bit"?

(jicymi): bit rate and bit depth are two different things)

Animation can be lossless, btw.


my 2¢


Jochen "Jo" Hermann
filter Media Postproduction
Salzburg, Austria

On 5. Sep 2021, at 23:24, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

That explains it I hadn't found that bit rate spec for the animation codec.  So Animation codec is 8 bit I thought it would be higher but I never really thought about it seriously.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135476) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment