Saturday, September 25, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Rack mounted CPUs w/out Monitors Issue

I thought the GPU if added to my QNAP was for a GUI interface.  I'll have to check on that.  I don't have a need for one on my storage QNAP but I am curious how a GPU would help it computationally.  I only use mine for storage.


On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 02:23 PM, Gowanus Canal wrote:
Yes, an on board GPU or standard PCIe GPU is needed. 
 
Remote editing systems do have a graphics card. No monitor is connected to streamline the physical footprint (easier to rack, less power, etc). 
 
A GPU cam be added to certain QNAPs. However, this is strictly for computation ( media conversion in particular). I don’t think the OS is capable of outputting a graphical interface. 

DQS
 

On Sep 23, 2021, at 5:10 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Novice question about the EDID dongle.  This would require a graphics card in the computer wouldn't it?  My QNAP has no graphics card but it can support one but I have no need for it at this time.  It sounds like the Rack Mounted Computers don't even have a graphics card.  I assume that's possible and they are controlled remotely over a network and are accessed by other work stations.  Like screen sharing on a mac and whatever other approaches there are.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135502) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment