Saturday, September 4, 2021

[Avid-L2] Why is a keyable Animation Codec graphic generating a "8 bits greyscale (Y800)" alpha channel?

Playing around with Avid mxf files in VLC and I see the alpha channed media that Avid created when importing an HD Animation Codec keyable graphic is in the format "8 bits greyscale (Y800)."  Did some googling and got some info.  I know Avid generally imports the alpha channel uncompressed.  Why does it end up being only 8 bit?  I have my renders etc... set to 16 bint and I'm importing the graphic to DNX 220X.  I'm not having any issue just wondering why the "uncompressed alpha" is 8 bit not 16 bit.  Is this a limitation to DNX 220X?  No problem just trying to learn something new.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment