Friday, September 24, 2021

[Avid-L2] OTish: HDR Full Range vs. Legal related to Resolve Target Display output?

My basic understanding is everything wants to be Full range in the HDR world.  Given the PQ signal is so flat it's not as obvious a difference on an external HD scope.  I just realized the Target Display Mode in Resolve has "100-nit, BT.709, BT.1886, Full" as the only 100 nit choice.  It outputs Full range when the video monitor is set to Full and Legal range when it's set to video.  This all makes sense on one level but creates a discrepancy in monitoring.  If I set the monitor to Full range then the SDR Target Display has blacks way below 0mV and peaks over 700mV.  This makes my HD SDR scope pretty useless for a Dolby Vision Trim pass.

The second tier of the issue is that if I set the Video Monitor to video (legal) then I'm not sending out Full Range to the HDR SDI output of the DNxIO that feeds the Aja Hi5 to trigger the HDR mode on my LG OLED.  The Aja control panel has an input level setting for SMPTE (Legal) and Full calle RGB range but that is only active when outputting 4:4:4 SDI.  I'm usually sending YCbCr so this control isn't functioning.  I'm going to have to review the nature of YCbCr and how it relates to legal vs. full range capabilities.

My Brain is starting to hurt.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment