Thursday, September 30, 2021

[Avid-L2] New HDR Behavior in Dolby Vision Picture settings on 55" LG OLED C9 with recent software upgrade?

I have an LG OLED C9 55" that I have had professionally calibrated for both SDR and HDR.  The Calibrated Picture setting is Cinema (User) in both SDR and HDR.  I just noticed after a recent software upgrade that I can no longer access Cinema (User) when I'm streaming Dolby Vision content of Disney Plus or Prime Video.  I'm pretty sure I had this choice in the past.  If I choose HDR 10 content then the Cinema (User) picture mode is accessible.  When I feed the monitor from Resolve through my Avid DNxIO to an AJA Hi5 SDI the HDMI converter to activate the HDR mode I also can access Cinema (User) setting. 

I'm pretty sure in the not too distant pass I could access Cinema (User) even when streaming Dolby Vision content, I reserve the right to be wrong on this but I can't believe I didn't notice this behavior in the past.  Also now there is a banner in the picture settings indicating "DolbyVision Picture Mode when I stream Dolby Vision content.  That banner seems new to me.  Does anybody else see this behavior and or change in behavior?

It seems very odd that the Calman Calibration setting is inaccessible in Dolby Vision mode.  I know Dolby Vision is content mapping but I can still choose Cinema Home, Cinema, Game mode, Standard ... while streaming Dolby Vision content so why not the Cinema (User) that is clearly still stored in the monitor.  I figure if the software upgrade blew out the Calman Calibration data I would no longer even see a choice for Cinema (User) no matter what mode.  I wonder if there was a bug in the latest software update?

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment