Saturday, August 28, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Mac Avid 5.1 Triple Channel Memory?

(typo…my machines are 2.93ghz CPUs)

dave

On Aug 28, 2021, at 7:05 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

I'm starting to use baselight plug in and BCC Pan and Zoom on online.  I have a mid 2012 12 core 5.1 64 GB Ram, CPU upgraded to 3.46GHZ, Radeon RX 580 8GB vram.  I found that I get crashes saying something about out of memory when rendering an upper track safe color effect.  I figured it had to do with the way BCC Pan and Zoom caches the stills into Ram memory but that's just a guess on my part.  It also seems when there are more BCC Pan and Zoom effects not linked to the stills I get the crash.  Once all are linked I can render the entire sequence without a crash. 

I might not be able to figure out what's really going on but the whole Triple Channel Memory thing, where Macs more efficiently address memory with three banks of ram than 4 has been brought up here.  Now I have 8 slots of 8GB,  It sounds like it would be more efficient and more capacity to go to 6 16 GB to get 96GB.  Of course my thought of more is better and why not go to 8x16GB for 128 GB total.  In googling this came up:

"I've contacted OWC and they said this:
Your computer is a triple channel computer. I can't begin to discuss what you would go for on this one as I have no information on how you would be using this computer. But there is one rule of thumb to fall back on. More memory trumps memory addressing".

I might not notice any difference but curious what value increased memory access with Triple Channel compares to having more actual memory.  The Above quote from OWC makes me think overall 128 might be a better idea.
 


John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment