Thursday, August 26, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Avid Perpetual License Price Increase?

Hi Dennis,

If I can weigh in:

IMHO, the only reasons to convert your existing perpetual license into an MC Ultimate Subscription are:
- you do NOT already own the Symphony option, PhraseFind option, and/or ScriptSync option — and do want/need those, AND you need shared projects/bins.

If you do want to move to Ultimate, you can either 
A. CROSSGRADE (which gets you a 2-yr Ultimate Subscription at a discount, but you lose your perpetual license
B. KEEP your perpetual license (and let it lapse, or not) and start a new Ultimate subscription (at the regular price)

If you DO already own all the add-on options you want/need (SY/PhF/SS), even if you let your Perpetual MC lapse, you still own those add-ons, so you would not necessarily need to move to MC Ultimate, but you could just use your add-ons with an MC Standard Subscription (239/yr paid upfront). There is NO CROSSGRADE offer from Perpetual to Standard Sunbscription. So you could just KEEP your perpetual licens (and let it lapse), and as soon as you want/need the latest version of MC, just start a Standard Subscription (which is less than half of what MC Ultimate costs).

HOWEVER…: Do note that MC Standard does NOT support shared bins/projects. If you need shared bins/projects, either
A. CROSSGRADE to MC Ultimate with a 2yr discount, but you lose your perpetual license
B. KEEP your Perpetual license (and let it lapse) and start a new MC Ultimate subscription (no discount, but you still keep perpetual)
C. STAY on Perpetual and keep paying for the renewals until you don't need them anymore.

My 2 cts.

Job

On 26 Aug 2021, at 18:09, Dennis Degan via groups.io <DennyD1=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Marianna,

I too have been faithfully sticking to the perpetual license, renewing each year for updates.  But since I don't need Avid for work anymore, I had been considering dropping the perpetual license.  With the price increase, I should have either: (1) ended my yearly payment for support and updates or (2) gone over to the subscription side.  I chose to maintain the perpetual license, not just for a year, but for 2 more years at the current price.  Maybe I'm a fool, but I like having the perpetual license.
Question for you: Since I've had a perpetual license for about 5 years now, if I convert it to a subscription and in 2 years I stop the subscription, will my software cease to work?  If true, after having a perpetual license for so long, that would convince me to NOT get a subscription and simply allow my perpetual license run out of support/upgrades after the 2 years I just purchased.  Because it would be better to have a working perpetual license and no support/upgrades than to have no working software at all after 2 years.  Am I crazy?  (Don't answer . . . . )

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
        Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus


No comments:

Post a Comment