Saturday, August 21, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Avid Perpetual License Price Increase?


On Aug 21, 2021, at 10:48 AM, Mark Block via groups.io <eatapc=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Marianna:

In 2019 I paid $299; in 2020 and 2021 I paid $399; next year it will be $499. This is a very significant price increase, even when spread out over a year. By comparison, I've been paying Adobe $50/month for the full Creative Cloud suite for the last 8 years -- no price increase. That works out to $600/year, but it's not just for Premiere Pro. It includes numerous apps that I can't live without, personally and professionally. $500 for Media Composer alone is not such a good deal, and seems calculated to push users into a subscription, which I believe is $239/year. Obviously, it makes sense for me to switch to a subscription model, but I'm not sure of the ramifications. What's the downside?

Mark,

Getting users onto the subscription model is exactly what this is intended to do.  License holders have the option of continuing with a perpetual license including support and future upgrades as long as you pay the $400 (soon to be $500) each year.  If you discontinue your yearly payment, the Avid software version you currently have will continue to work (hence the name 'perpetual') and you can keep it forever. It just won't be updated and you will no longer have Avid support.
With the subscription model, you get updates and support for the duration of the paid period (like the perpetual model). But if you end the subscription, not only will you not have updates and support, the software will stop working.
At least that's how I understand it . . . . . 

Dennis Degan, Video Editor -Consultant -Knowledge Bank


No comments:

Post a Comment