Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Is the Z8 G4 a solid/stable performer?

I watched The HP remarketing list for a couple months, and the z8s were either sold immediately or were so loaded that the price was still out of my budget.

eventually bought a Lenovo p620 to replace my trusty but forced-to-retire Mac Pro cheesgrater. No 'huge' projects yet, but so far, amazingly fast, quiet, and reliable.

________________________
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
GK Huson, LLC
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com
www.SecretHQ.com


> On Jun 22, 2021, at 05:15, JBeck via groups.io <jb30343=windstream.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Just changed from a Z820 to a z8. It's a little hard for me to make a
> direct comparison since the workstation swap was accompanied by a change
> from Nitris DX to Artist DNxIQ and a big jump in MC versions. I've
> found nothing to hate about the Z8. It's fast and I think it's a little
> quieter than the Z820. Might take a while to get used to the way it
> looks but the same could be said about me. --J.B.
>
> Karl Knowles wrote:
>>
>> Lately most of the work I've been doing is corporate long-form HD. A
>> recent influx of projects requiring a lot of post-processing reminded
>> me of how dated the Z820 is.
>>
>> I've been pondering an upgrade to a Z8 G4, mildly tuned for 4K work.
>> They've been out long enough for lease returns to be available at
>> reasonable prices, and even ordering a moderately spec'd new unit from
>> HP is within the budget.
>>
>> HP workstations have been reliable workhorses for me since the first
>> days of Adrenaline. However, I'm not adverse to considering a Dell
>> workstation, I just don't have any experience with the desktops, only
>> their portable workstations (which has been good).
>>
>> I'm curious to hear if anyone has gone with the Z8 and if so what your
>> thoughts and experiences were.
>>
>> If anyone found Dell desktop workstations to be exceptionally solid
>> performers please chime in.
>>
>> Cheers and TIA!
>>
>> Karl Knowles
>>
>> Tallahassee, FL
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>



-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#135298): https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/message/135298
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/83710874/2971402
Group Owner: Avid-L2+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/leave/5759084/2971402/1548653033/xyzzy [administrator242.death@blogger.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment