Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Huge closed caption conform task - ugh!

So, I think I may have worked out a process; well, so far.  I found a site that I can convert from SCC to SRT.  And then in Resolve I can import that file and lay it against the unedited program.  Do my editing to remove slate and commercial breaks, etc.  Then render out the program in the requested ProRes.  The final step I need to test is exporting the conformed subtitle track as XML and converting that back over to SCC.  

(grumble grumble grumble) - I'm getting too old for this shit.


Jay


On Jun 29, 2021, at 2:36 PM, Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Jay,

Maybe this will work for you:


It is possible that this is what you already looked at. I am unsure that generic subtitle files are anything but absolute time, and just get converted in the editing application. So you may have some luck pushing them through here.

When I was thinking about getting into captioning last, I found that the Cinedeck Tools looked fantastic at a lower price than the MacCaption I'd previously considered. The tutorial videos really look like you can dig in and also export and embed at ease. Still expensive though…

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 2:47 PM Jay Mahavier via groups.io <jay_mahavier=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
To Bouke and the Avid-L2 collective…

I have been tasked with taking the content library of a defunct cable channel and re-conforming it for Hulu.  The source content has traditional slate/leaders, 10sec commercial black, and textless on tail.  Hulu spec say no no no to all of that. 

Picture wise this isn't that big of a deal.  BUT… all the closed caption is timed to the program files with slates and commercial black included.  And I need to figure out what will be the least painful way to conform all of that.

The closed caption files are in .SCC format.  Of course Avid doesn't like SCC.  I found an online converter, but it apparently doesn't support DFTC.

Does anyone know of a good SCC to STL or Avid DS conversion tool?  Paid or free.  That will actually work?

Or are there other tools or workflows that would be easier than bringing into Media Composer, editing the timeline, and exporting?


Thank you,
Jay





No comments:

Post a Comment