Friday, April 23, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Where is my dream GPU???

I found this:
What Graphics Cards are Compatible with macOS 10.15
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5.
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition.
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDDR5.
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition.
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac.
I'm surprised that the GTX-680 Mac Edition works with Catalina.  I have one of these that I just replaced last year to match up Keppler Chip Sets with my TitanX GPUs in the expansion chassis by using a GTX-980Ti 6GB in the macpro tower.

I thought I needed a GPU that supports Metal to go to Mojave 10.14.  Is it nVidia GPUs with Cuda that don't work?  If so how does the GTX-680 still work.  Is that because they wrote code into the Mac OS for it as opposed to the others that required the nVidia Webdriver to work?  I had to go to the nVidia driver so that my Titan X GPUs would be properly recognized.  I had thought all nVidia support vanished after High Sierra 10.13 but the fact that I'm running Mojave on my 2013 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB seems to indicate it's not all nVidia GPUs that don't work.  Is it the Cuda thing or is it like the GTX-680 there is still GPU drivers in the Mac OS?

Once I get the Sapphire Pulse installed could I eventually add another even beefier Radeon GPU in my expansion chassis and have it work like it did with my Titan X GPUs?  I realize that would be throwing money at an old tower but I have a 1500 watt PSU in the expansion chassis so it would have plenty of power to work with.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135217) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment