Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Can't update video properties in QT7Pro when files is on a network drive?

Given the resulting file says "MPEG-2 Camcorder" does that mean that Shutter encoder has the -vTag set to "MPEG-2 Camcorder"?  Or could it be missing the -vTag completely.  The Media Info program sees it as XDCam50 in it's listing of metadata.




On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 08:14 AM, bouke wrote:
XDcam is MpegII with specific params and 8 tracks of mono sound.
It is just a ‘brand’.Ta
Exact the same video codec  but with another layout of sound will NOT be ‘XDcam’, although it miight contain EXACT the same data.
 
You CANNOT wrap MpegII / XDcam into a QT wrapper without telling the output what the file ‘should’ be, and expect ‘anyone’ to see what it is.
For that the  -vTag is needed.
 

Bouke

Edit ‘B / VideoToolShed.com
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  Nijmegen
+31 6 21817248

On 19 Jan 2021, at 13:19, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

I checked out Shutter Encoder and it works but only supports 8 channels of audio at the present time.  I did an XDCam and a Rewrap as tests.  Both worked with the first 8 channels of audio.  The creator said he's working on an update for more audio.  I did find the re-wrap was one frame late.  The creator said this was a known bug and FFMpeg does this sometimes.  I'm waiting to hear back more clarification of this one frame offset to find out if it's intermittent or consistent.  Paul Pacifico is the coder and he seems very helpful.  One other quirk is the info in QT7 Pro says MPEG-2 Camcorder not XDCam but if I bring the file into Media Info it sees it as XDCam50.  So many little gotchas along the way.  The XDCam QT I exported from Avid shows as XDCam50 in QT7 Pro. 

I'm just a boy lost in an ever changing sea of metadata.  ;-)


On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 07:03 PM, bouke wrote:

On 18 Jan 2021, at 23:09, Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com> wrote:

Do you have the ffmpeg command line installed? It sounds like you have the file you want, but it's MXF and you need MOV. If so, ffmpeg can rewrap pretty easily.
 
ffmpeg -i <input file.mxf> -c:v copy -c:a copy <output file.mov
 
 
Last time i’ve checked this will only give you the first two audio channels.
Getting FFmpeg to do more chabbeks will involve more typing work. Then, FFmpeg defaults to one audio track. Again, more work if you wantmultiple mono tracks. AND, the tracks higher than 2 will be flagged as muted.
 
(But QTchange can enable them again.)
 
For this kind of work a front end app is a good start, from there, if you have a fixed workflow,  write a bat or automator script, or have someone else do that for you.
 
 
Bouke

Edit ‘B / VideoToolShed.com
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  Nijmegen
+31 6 21817248
 
 

 
If ffmpeg can do it, that is the command line. Copy video, copy audio, change container.
 
 

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 5:00 PM John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I agree.  I've been using QT Ref just to get out of Avid and then do a save as because current Adobe Media Encoders no longer support QT Ref.  Unfortunately now I find that AME will no longer export a QT .mov with XDCam50 or any other XDCam flavor of codec.  It use to do that on my work system.  Perhaps I'm missing something in AME but I only see XDCam codec choices in the mxf op1a exports.  Fortunately I found that I can do a custom Avid QT export on my 10.12.6 Mac OS startup with MC 2018.12.12 and choose XDCam 50 24 422 in the QT custom settings.  Some new behavior to me was even though the QT Engine custom audio settings don't offer 12 channel discrete audio as a choice it turns out Avid in direct out audio format overrides the QT custom settings.  I got a prompt during export that said this and my resulting file did have 12 discrete mono tracks.  I was happily surprised to see the video levels in this workflow match the original sequence when I ama link to resulting file.  There is an ever so slight change on vectorscope and double diamond but I'm talking virtually no change.  It's much less than the old politically incorrect metric of the size of hair.  ;-)

Other than the suggestion of FCP7 I'm sure there must be other software that could take an Avid exported mxf op 1a file and create an XDCam50 .mov with 12 channels of audio but I've yet to hear one.  I would think FFMpeg could do this I'm just not a command line guy.  Perhaps the software front end FF Works would make it simpler to set up in FFMpeg if FFMpeg can do it.
 
 
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135065) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment