Saturday, November 28, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Semi OT: Bandwidth Bragging Rights!!!

John:

Which QNAP chassis did you get?  There appear to be a couple of different classes — one is roughly $1200, another is 4x that.  Very curious. 



Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff@kinetta.com
kinetta.com

Sent from iPhone. 

On Nov 28, 2020, at 10:45 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:


Mr. Zelin guided me through the purchase of a 16 Bay QNAP 10 gig drive chassis.  This thing is amazing.  Sonnet Presto 10 gig card in my expansion chassis, had to go for the more expensive card to work on 10.12.6, the card that works on 10.13.6 but not 10.12.6 is a couple hundred dollars less but my system is more stable with all my Nvidia gpus on 10.12.6,  I can even plug drives directly into the QNAP and bypass the computer altogether.  A 4TB Glyph SSD shuttle drive I'm connected with the usb C connector on the QNAP.  I'm transferring two folder simultaneously and each transfer is running at 300+ MB/sec.

The AJA drive speed test showed 980 MB/sec read and 880 MB/sec write.  I can finally see if I can play DPX sequences in real time.  I transfered my entire internal raid of approx 15 TB to the QNAP in about 7 hours.

I can't wait to see how fast I can export DPX sequences from Avid.  I'm wondering if using the QNAP as source media and export location is faster than bouncing between my internal raid and the QNAP.  Depending on the partition my internal Raid will get somewhere from 500 to 400 MB/sec read.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment