Saturday, November 21, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Lavc57.24.102 netflixprores 3840_2160 What is this codec that I can ama but not transcode or consolidate?

[Edited Message Follows]

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 01:19 PM, John Moore wrote:
I'm thinking after hearing from my Netflix contact that they use FFmpeg and other in house custom apps to make their own kind of prores files.  Don't know what it facilitates but I'm sure it makes sense in their workflow.
I find it interesting that Netflix would use FFmpeg to create ProRes files.  If I understand things, ProRes created by FFmpeg is in violation of Apple's copyright.  Why would Netflix risk a battle?  Am I wrong about this?  I am no lawyer ......

EDIT:  Ok, a Saturday dive down google shows that it may not be strictly illegal.  But none the less, the lingering issues of potential incompatibility (the point of this thread) still makes me wonder why the behemoth that Netfix is "cheaps" out.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134966) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment