Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Lavc57.24.102 netflixprores 3840_2160 What is this codec that I can ama but not transcode or consolidate?

Hello John,

Please place this post in the "purely speculative ideas" category, and see what works…

1) Did you isolate the recalcitrant clip by sub-clipping it into a timeline with just one clip?  Often I have found that AMA linked footage will balk on transcode because of a complex timeline.  I typically place all AMA clips on a separate track of my timeline, sub clip to a new timeline, transcode, and then try re-linking the original timeline to the newly transcoded clips…sometimes I have to re-cut in the transcoded clips from the sub-clipped timeline if relink balks.

2) On the subject of "proprietary ProRes codecs" I know that at the house I work at most higher than HD shows are completed in DaVinci Resolve, on Linux based systems.  IIRC they have custom code for generating ProRes files.  In addition, there are several custom packages for producing ProRes files on non Mac systems, any of those could be causing the Mac to see them as non-standard ProRes.

My own .02, YMMV

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA

On Nov 18, 2020, at 2:02 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

It's a clip show so I think these files probably came from Netflix.  Maybe some part of their internal infrastructure creates a custom version for their mezzanine level stuff.  I'll check with the AEs and my Netflix contact.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 01:37 PM, Mark Spano wrote:
Whenever I see Lavc, I usually think it's from ffmpeg or some other (let's say not 100% Apple approved ©) flavor. I've never seen the 'netflixprores' in there, but I imagine many people are trying different methods to make ProRes without getting the elusive seal of approval from Apple. It's possible that Avid wants only to play with native Apple branded ProRes so won't consolidate it. I am surprised that it can't transcode. Might have to batch those through Media Encoder or Resolve.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:
Working on a clip show where the sources are ProResHQ 3840_2160.  Some of the clips in the online timeline are ama linked.  They were supposed to be consolidate to ProResHQ not linked.  I went to consolidate only linked clips to ProResHQ but I get an error saying some of the clips contain foreigh compression types.  Well I can see them in the timeline and the clips say they are using the QuickTime Plug-in.
 
Does Netflix have some sort of proprietary prores codec that Avid 2018.12.12 can link to but not consolidate or even transcode?
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment