Monday, October 26, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Extending Wifi Network or adding another Network?

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.  I opted to hit Best Buy for a linksys extender AC 1200.  It programs through wifi connection then plug in the ethernet cable and it works.  It has dual bands but unlike an airport there is no auto switch between bands they are just two different networks.  I used the same password as my main airport network but changed the names with a numberic suffice.  I like that airports auto switch between 2.4 and 5 G depending on signal strength but I have read that when adding a second airport in tandem with an existing network devices don't know to switch between stations if you walk from one zone to the other.  My needs are just to get the ring cam and sprinkler system online so it may not be the most elegant solution but it works. 

I'm amazed how quick the performance fall off is with 5 G network.  Stand next to the new extender and I can get close to 93 Mbps and just across the room 15 feet away it can drop down to under 80 Mbps and across the house maybe 20 Mbps.  Glad I ran a bunch of cat 6 when we remodeled after a house flood.



On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:30 PM, Mark Spano wrote:
Spectrum's whole thing they tout for their internet service is that they do not charge you to lease a modem. And since you can't update your own bought modem on their network, it makes little sense to buy one. Just correcting a bit of misinformation here.
 
Routers are a different story, and the Apple ones generally provided the best in ease of setup and extendability.
 
I have found it extremely easy to use the Spectrum provided modem and connect my completely self controlled and maintained Apple Airport network to it. Thus, I have no better advice than to stay with the Apple Airport products. Even discontinued in 2018, they are still supported by Apple and can be found on the used market.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 9:13 PM Dennis Wiener <dwiener@earthlink.net> wrote:
Another possibility is MoCa enabled routers and switches. I have FiOS and I can add MoCa router or adapter at each cable coax point. I use cat6 from the switches/routers and try to use wifi only for devices I can’t hardwire. L

On Oct 26, 2020, at 6:43 PM, crunchymagic <damonclaussen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey John,
 
We live in a two story house (2600 sq ft), my office is on the first floor, all bedrooms are upstairs. Wireless coverage was spotty on the 2nd floor when running only one modem/router. After getting complaints that Fortnite and Netflix were glitchy from the youngsters, I did a good amount of research on extenders, mesh solutions, et al. I ended up going with two routers, one on each floor. 
 
The modem/router combo we have is a NETGEAR AC1900 which plays nicely with Spectrum. That was the first thing we changed because the provided modem/router by Spectrum that you pay a lease on monthly is garbage. Even Spectrum employees admitted its trash.
Expanding the wireless signal isn’t always foolproof so what worked for us is I ran a hardline (cat 6) through to the second story to my 2nd router (NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000p. I was able to set it up by devoting a static IP to the secondary router. That second router has it’s own set of wireless channels both (2G/5G). I can also see my downstairs router and use it if needed. 
 
Since we have an 8 and 12 year old, content management is key, along with controlling access during homework times. I’m adding another router TPLINK AX6000 which will be the first router after the AC1900. The AC1900 will be reduced to serving internet only and the AX6000 will then be the main gateway serving up the internet through it’s awesome parental controls interface and content management. You can also set up a solid guest wireless channel if clients come by and need unfettered access. 
 
Our internet is only 200 Mb/s down but our network is able to sustain plenty of usage. When the kids were zooming at home, we were running my wife’s system in bedroom, both kids upstairs zooming, and one week had my extended family visiting and zooming to their zoom… 4 more zoom sessions, plus my system in my office, uploading/downloading content without any issues.  Mileage will vary but the key is get yourself a solid modem first so you’ve got reliable signal… as for routers…. so far both Negear units I’ve owned have been solid. The TPLINK was recommended to me by my friend in IT who uses it in his house. Sounds like you got a bum router. 
 
Good luck. Once you get it dialed in… it’s smooth as buttah! 
 
 
 
<image003.png>
 

On Oct 26, 2020, at 2:45 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

I did a bit of research a while back about adding another base station to my home wifi for better coverage.  I have an Airport Extreme unit and I found I could add a second Airport Extreme with the same network ID etc...  Today a call to Melrose Mac and I found out Apple dropped the Airport line a year or two ago.  I suppose I could perhaps find a used one.
 
I was told to look at Aces or Netgear for extenders.  I did add a small Netgear base station a while back and it worked for a day but then the unit died.  Literally died not a setup issue.  I don't mind just adding a second network as this is just to cover a fringe area but it would be more elegant to have it be setup like the main network.  I've read that hand off between stations was problematic with two Airport Extremes so maybe a separate network is the easiest thing.  Any configuration/device suggestions welcome.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

--
Damon Claussen
editor.storyteller.nerd
crunchymagic.com ~ 'Don't Ask... long story'

 

 

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134880) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment