Monday, September 21, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] ROI period for equipment... #OffTopic #post

Sure Job,  I should qualify this by saying that I'm not a sound mixer. 
I do appreciate good sound and I appreciate good speakers, both for hifi
listening and spot on honest monitors.  If I were buying speakers (near
field, and under $1000 for a pair)  for an editing room today, I'd
probably buy Neumann KH80.  They are very honest throughout their range
and easy on the ears.  They are a little weak in the low end so if
you're mixing for release, a supplemental woofer would be a good idea,
just to make sure there's no low end rumble that might be a problem.

In my own editing room I have a pair of vintage EV Sentry 100-EL. Part
of that is due to sentimentality.  I'm a big fan of vintage EV stuff. 
The Sentry 100 was a industry standard in its day.  It's not as fast and
honest as what can be had today.  OTOH, I have been listening to them
for a very long time plus I have two pairs at home so I know what to
expect.  If there's a problem in the sound, I usually catch it.  Again,
I edit picture.  I don't mix sound for a living.

I tend to agree with you're buddy.  A lot of it comes down to personal
preference.  I've done enough experimenting with designing my own
speakers to know that it's a complicated business.  Room design and
treatment is too. --J.B.

Job ter Burg (L2) wrote:
> Hi JB,
>
> What's your preferred brand/type of speaker, if I may ask?
>
> Before I switched from Genelec 1030 to 1031 for my LCR's, I auditioned
> the Dynaudio LYD48's. Had a couple of sound editors/mixers in the room
> and compare some tracks on the LYD48's and the 1031's. Funny thing
> was, I didn't think there was that much of a difference, to be honest.
> They were very, very similar. Of course, there were subtle
> differences. The Dynaudio fans in the room felt the Genelecs sound too
> harsh, the Genelec fans felt the Dynaudios sounded too 'hi-fi'. But
> these were two 'Nordic' brands, there might be more difference when we
> were to add a pair of Neumanns, JBL's, PSI's, ADAMs, Meyers, etc.
>
> I later discussed this with another sound buddy, who essentially said:
> there's a great many offerings from different brands. It's basically a
> matter of A. budget, and B. taste. There's no real wrong choice.
>
> And on a whole different note: many editing rooms I walked into had
> terrible acoustics to begin with. No matter which speaker you place in
> a bad room, it won't sound great. Best sound investment I ever did was
> room treatment.
>
> J
>
>> On 21 Sep 2020, at 01:47, JBeck <jb30343@windstream.net
>> <mailto:jb30343@windstream.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Bouke. Not exactly a troll. I've been on the L since the mid 90's as
>> have you. I value your opinion but on this, we can disagree. As I
>> said, I haven't listened to Genelec's recent offerings. I hope they
>> have improved. JB
>>
>>
>>> On Sep 20, 2020, at 5:41 PM, bouke <bouke@editb.nl
>>> <mailto:bouke@editb.nl>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  I did not read all, and I DO have Genelecs, and mr, Icepick is a
>>> troll, but:
>>> A 1500 USD refurb HP workstation makes a screaming good Avid.
>>>
>>> There is no need whatsoever for over expensive stupid Macs. (And
>>> that's the case for many years.)
>>>
>>> Bouke
>>>
>>> Edit 'B / VideoToolShed.com <http://videotoolshed.com/>
>>> van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
>>> 6512 AS  Nijmegen
>>> +31 6 21817248
>>>
>>>> On 20 Sep 2020, at 22:55, Secret HQ <Greg@SecretHQ.com
>>>> <mailto:Greg@SecretHQ.com>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Oh, man, for a minute there I thought you were talking about real
>>>> estate and I got all interested. (1031 is a tax deferral system for
>>>> investors.)
>>>>
>>>> ________________________
>>>> Greg Huson
>>>> Secret Headquarters, Inc
>>>> GK Huson, LLC
>>>> Greg (at) SecretHQ.com <http://secrethq.com/>
>>>> www.SecretHQ.com <http://www.secrethq.com/>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> On Sep 20, 2020, at 13:46, David Dodson <davaldod@gmail.com
>>>>> <mailto:davaldod@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>  I cut with Genelec 8020B's. I love them. Really, really terrific
>>>>> - to my ears, anyway.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Davaldod
>>>>> davaldod@gmail.com <mailto:davaldod@gmail.com>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sep 20, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Job ter Burg (L2)
>>>>>> <Job_L2@terburg.com <mailto:Job_L2@terburg.com>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Awww, come on…
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Love my 1031's. J
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 17 Sep 2020, at 23:49, JBeck <jb30343@windstream.net
>>>>>>> <mailto:jb30343@windstream.net>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Every Genelec monitor I've listened to made me feel like someone was
>>>>>>> poking an ice pick into my ears.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>
>




-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#134854): https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/message/134854
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/76916132/2971402
Mute #post:https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/mutehashtag/post
Mute #offtopic:https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/mutehashtag/offtopic
Group Owner: Avid-L2+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/leave/5759084/1548653033/xyzzy [administrator242.death@blogger.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment