Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Artist Color Panel very degraded in Resolve 16 OS 10.13.6 vs. Resolve 15 OS 10.12.6?

So I think I have discovered the core irony in all my testing and tweaking. 

Yesterday I did a simple color correction in Resolve of a Zoom meeting for a friend.  It was .mp4 720P.  Noisy and not great but it was just something to be used for fund raising.  There were two files one 40 minute ish and one closer to an hour.  I did a basic 7 node color correction one node for noise reduction.  When I went to export to H_264 .mp4 I found that using only the GTX-980 Ti in the tower was faster than using the two TitanX GPUs in the expansion chassis.  The shorter file took around 13:30 to render using the GTX-980 Ti and more like 13:50 using the Two TitanX in the expansion chassis.  Similar results with the longer file.

One difference is the tower fans took off more running the GTX-980 Ti as it was being pushed.  I guess this isn't surprising but I had thought the extra Vram in the TitanX GPUs would make them faster.  Perhaps this task didn't max out the Vram on any of the cards.  The GPU history was not maxed out in activity monitor in either mode but the two TitanX showed less on the graph than the GTX-980 Ti.

The expansion chassis is feed from the second 16 lane slot in the tower but clearly it is somewhat hampered compared to having the GPUs right in the Tower.  I know that's obvious I'm just a little surprised the Two Titan X GPUs didn't work at least a little faster than the single 980.  I guess it must be the nature of the umbilical connection of the Expansion chassis along with Two GPUs pulling down the same cable.  I did try with one TitanX but the results were similar.

Perhaps if I had a ton of stuff going on it might make more of a difference but I'm just speculating.  I think the GTX-980 Ti would push the power limits of the Tower if it was flat out maxed.  I just notice a few degrees warmer on the temp guage software and the fans went up about 300 rpms as the gpu history went up for the heavier noise reduction sections.  I wonder if I put one of the TitanX GPUs in the 16 lane slot in the tower and jury rigged the expansion chassis 1500 watt psu to drive it how much performance I might see.  I'd keep the 980 for boot gpu.  Not sure if macs like two GPUs in towers.  I've seen to Quadro 4K card so I guess it's possible.  

I'm sure Grant Petty is just aching to tweak his code to help me out.  ;-)
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134820) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment