Thursday, September 3, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Adding Partitions to HFS+ and File Shrinking?

John --

I'm sorry for what might be a "storage 101" question, but I was always under the assumption that if you re-partition a drive, you necessarily erased all the information and files on that drive.  I've always only used Macs and Mac's Disk Utility.

What software are you using to avoid losing/erasing the pre-existing data?  (Or is it simply a setting that I've never seen...?)
...and where can I find any info to update my (apparently sparse) knowledge of formatting and partitioning drives?

Thanks!

-- Sol

-------------------------------------------------
Sol Fischler
Editor: Image & Sound
914-525-2579


On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 02:13:04 AM EDT, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:


The field media came in on two Glyph SSD 4TB drives.  I may be working at home on Resolve and then moving to a facility where I will most likely be working directly off the Glyph drives.  I will only have the Glyph drives for a day so I need to copy them off.  I figured by creating two partitions that I have named to match the Glyph drives it might facilitate easier linking at the other facility.  This may be unnecessary but my linking and more importantly relinking chops on Resolve are not strong.

Typically I find partitioning multiple volumes useful on a single enclosure so I can better manage Avid media between episodes of a series.  With one partion I can only have one Avidmediafiles folder but with several partitions I can have an avidmediafiles folder on each partition then I can relink to earlier episodes and consolidate reused media to another partition dedicated to the new episode.  This helps me keep each episode more self contained.  I have rarely onlined on Nexis or other Avid project sharing networks so this approach gives me a poor man's shared storage environment and makes it really easy to archive.

Usually I make the partitions before I start to populate the drive but this case is different. 


On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 11:02 PM, Mark Spano wrote:
This may all be my opinion here but:
 
Why do this? Partitions on a RAID? What is the point? I am sure it's just putting undue stress on an already taxed file system. Do you need separate volumes on the RAID? Does that accomplish anything useful in your workflow?
 
If the point of it all is to do a faux "defragment" on the RAID, you're better off copying onto a separate disk, reformat the RAID, then copy back. Partitions don't help in that situation.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 1:35 AM John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:
I have a 12TB Graid that was almost full.  I have deleted a bunch of files to get it down to approx 900 GB used.  I then went into disk utility to change the volume to add two more partitions with each partition 4TB size.  The process has been running over an hour now on the file shrinking process.  I'm assuming the files that were left on the original 12TB partition are now being moved to reside only in the first partition.  This would account for the time it's taking and the disk access noise I'm hearing.
 
Am I  correct to assume that when I added the extra partitions because the existing files were all across the original single partition they are now being bounced to the first partition?  If so is it correct that when partitioning an HFS+ drive with multiple partitions that they actually break out the partitions In a physical order and not just create a complex directory to create the new volumes?
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment