Tuesday, September 8, 2020

[Avid-L2] Drive speed effected by cable length?

Hooking up a 12TB Graid to my macpro mid 2012 through a Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe card.  I ordered some USB 3.0 type A to Type B 10 ft cables to make it easier to put the drives on top of my rack.  I also order similar USB type A to Type C, called a premium charge sync cable.

The drive test speed is horrible using the 10 foot USB Type A to Type B cable.  BM drive speed is approx 42 MB/sec.  If I go back to the original cables I had the drive speed it approx 300 MB/sec.  These speeds are for both read and write.  A bit of googling and it seems 10 ft is within spec for "Super Speed" USB 3 cables.  I order from Amazon:


John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net




I get similar performance hit using the USB type A to USB type C cables.  With Glypth SSD 4TB drives the 10 ft cables get approx 40 MB/sec while the short pigtails plugged directly into the USB 3 card yield approx 336 MB/sec.

I can see that the Type C cable says it for sync and charge so it might not be the most robust cable.  But the USB 3 Type A to Type B says it's "Super Speed" so doesn't that mean it should perform much better.  I guess going through Amazon it's hard to tell the quality of the cable manufacturer.

I really would like to run 10 ft cables to facilitate drive swapping.  Is this too much to ask for?  I think I just got poorly made cables.  Does anyone have a suggestion where to look for quality cables.  Guess I'll check with Pacific Radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment